Office Worker's Lunch

What's your usual lunch during the weekday or whenever you are working? For me, it'll be something fast, cheap and filling if possible. Before relocating to the new office, my lunches were pretty exciting.

By my standards, obviously. And we all know how low they are. So don't laugh at what you are about to see. Some show of pity followed by monetary donation would be preferred.

Takeaway ayam penyet. This was courtesy of a colleague from another team. He was worried if the chilli would be too spicy for me but it was simply perfect with the white rice. It was rather spicy even by normal local standard but I like it hot like how I like my women.

For those not in the know, this is like the Asian version of KFC with crispy skin minus the batter. One thing though, because it's been flattened and deep fried, the overall meat can less than satisfying. The yellow bits on top are the bits of deep fried batter. The set also came with tempeh which is certainly an acquired taste made better thanks to the chilli sauce. You get more fiber from raw cabbage slices (literally) and some deep fried bean curd. I like this but it is also very pricey =(

There's a Chinese restaurant in Puchong that actually does food delivery. It's an ingenious system:
  1. He emails out the day's menus with different combination of meat, noodles/rice and even vegetarian option 
  2. You reply back with your order 
  3. He delivers the orders during/before lunch hour 
Unfortunately, he is stopping it last I heard before CNY. For RM 4 (or was it RM 4.50?), you get a rather generous helping of vegetable and meat. They weren't goddamn awesome but had a nice homely taste to it. Back when I was cutting down on my calories, one box could easily turn into two meals for me. Nowadays, it'd be great if one box would suffice for a single meal.

My previous office had its own cafeteria which had Malay economy rice stall along with the usual stir fry offerings. I like the former as it was quite cheap and also tasty. The food also looked more presentable and hygienic, more than my own cooking. The unfortunate thing is how they often end up cooking the same old dishes and there weren't that many dishes to begin with. Still, they were quite healthy.

Another favorite haunt within the Cyberjaya vicinity, the food here is pretty good. Prices aren't exactly cheap but hey, it's Indian food. I've never quite heard of it being described as cheap.

Master Curry House is another spot that serves great Indian food. Don't worry, if your Chinese colleagues have an aversion towards curry or just Indian food in general, you can suggest for them to balik tongsan  order from the Chinese stall that's also operating in the same shop. The same colleague who gave another shop raving reviews said the same of this place and I couldn't agree more.


If you have the time and luxury to drive out and still have a parking spot when you return, Dengkil is a good option. There is a food court there which have quite a lot of affordable food option. My usual pick is the economy rice as it is filling without breaking my purse.

Except for this particular plate. Rice with one veggie, one omelet and pork, they came up to RM 9. The lady explained because I took a fair bit of meat and pork was expensive. Was it worth it? The food was nice but paying RM 9 for the humble chap fan is certainly a shocking experience.

This isn't really an office lunch since I was off that day and took my car to service. Had a hearty lunch near Kerinchi followed up with some cendol to cool the day's heat away. Sometimes, the company really does make a difference in the food.

This is the one time BK failed me miserably. It was a public holiday and I just got off work when I met up with Justin for lunch. We were supposed to head here but he couldn't find it so we settled on BK instead. Maybe it's the festivity. Maybe it just sucks. The burger was small and dry. Fries were just so-so. If anything, we felt so cheated.

AEON chicken garden salad. Do you know the key to buying these is to get them later in the day? The prices are usually slashed to clear the stock. Their salad would be off by 30% from RM 4.50. Their chicken sandwich starts from RM 4. Unfortunately, they don't have the same food during the fasting month.

Cold Storage also has a similar mechanism but theirs are nasi lemak (RM2 to RM1), fried rice (RM 2 to RM 1, me thinks), chicken rice (RM 6 or so to RM 3.50). If you are lucky, they'll mark down their roast/curry chicken from RM 6.50 to RM 3 for 3pieces. While they aren't big fleshy pieces, it's still a steal.

Happy Malaysia day! Rejoice in the fact that I am slowly catching up on my blog posts.
This is leftover rojak with Japanese cucumber. jl smirked at my notion of rojak being a healthy snack since the sauce is unhealthy with the amount of sugar in them. fml.


Hence, my attempt at healthy eating. Yogurt is something which I've taken up not too long ago. From flavored ones, it's now plain yogurt all the way for me now. It took some getting use to but reading about how much calories the flavored one has certainly made plain yogurt more delicious in ways more than one.

The aftermath of the Sekinchan lunch. It was quite astonishing that we cleaned everything off the plates pretty nicely.

Too much of leftover from lunch. Things like this make me sad. No need to think about all the starving kids in Africa. Just think of a starving me during the weekdays. Like now.

Comments