Review: Kedai Makanan Nam Chun, Bangsar

2-4, Lorong Ara Kiri,
Lucky Garden, Bangsar,
Kuala Lumpur

 My first visit to this kopitiam certainly brings back some memories. Not the fond type, mind you but it wasn't cringe worthy either. Just the sort that makes me laugh to recall them now. After landing on Malaysian soil after a week plus away for work, the ex picked me up and we came here for lunch where he started to rant about his life. Nvm that we were apart and I wanted to tell him how my trip was. Actually, the drama started way before that when he refused to send me to the airport with the excuse of it being dangerous and what-nots on his way back. So, it was perfectly fine for me to take the bus myself in the dead of the night. The other reason to remember that particular lunch was because he recommended this place despite not being a local. And Bangsar was certainly ain't his hood.

Thankfully, my second visit was less dramatic. A better lunch companion who sometimes do make me want to strangle him but really, is there anyone that you didn't wish to at a point of time? Wanting to satisfying my craving for Sarawak laksa, I picked this place and laughed thinking of how stupid I was to hang out with a guy just because he was cute and all. I was young and stupid. Luckily (or not), I'm just stupid now.

Being the cheap coffee addict, it was a golden opportunity to order some coffee and while it wasn't super good, it did make for a decent cuppa joe.

 This particular restaurant has few famous stalls under its roof. The kolo mee is one that gets patrons returning for more. Touted as a rather authentic version, perhaps its my indifference towards this dish that it didn't particularly get me excited. It wasn't bad but not enough to make me go out of my way for it. I still prefer the saltier version of this i.e. Hakka mee.

 When a humble food stall running out of a corner side restaurant can manage its own social media platform to boast of its many media appearances, you know there must be something that they are doing right.

But then again, Hitler also managed to convince a lot of people to go kill Jews. 

From RM 5 back in 2009, it is now a whopping RM 7. Sure, you get not one but (gasp) two prawns that have been nicely peeled on your behalf though it baffles me why they left the antennas on or maybe somebody got lazy. Portion wise, it wasn't small but certainly not huge either. You do get a nice portion of noodles, shredded omelet, chicken and bean sprouts. The soup doesn't exactly come in your standard soup noodle portion which is understandable since that's quite the essence of this dish.

If you have not tried the Sarawak version of laksa and only tried the usual style where it's rich with coconut milk, this may not go down well for you. For one, it isn't very thick. Or watery. I like the sour twist which gives the dish a less sinful flavor. The noodles are a slightly fatter version of vermicelli which holds the soup up nicely.

Between this and oily normal laksa, I'd gladly take this anytime.

Comments