Review: Chelo's Appam Stall, Bangsar

Lorong Ara Kiri 3,
Lucky Garden,
59100 Bangsar
 
After my first visit, couzzie was mocking me for paying close to RM 10 for two pax for flour, flour and more flour. At times like that, it makes me wonder why I still talk to him but then I remember of the times he would feed me and whatever annoyance there was dissipated. 

 It isn't as though their menu has changed since. In fact, it probably hasn't since they started business eons ago. Maybe just the price.

 One of my favorite kuih, pulut inti has an overall sweetness to it which is enhanced with the coconut flakes. Another favorite of mine is kuih ketayap which is a spring roll of pandan  crepe with filling of dessicated coconut flakes. Suddenly, the denominator dawned on me: coconuts though it's more like the texture. Slightly crunchy and sweet.

There were few female Indonesian workers manning the stall. Their hands were swift to ensure the precious apam isn't burnt while taking orders. It is odd; an Indonesian cooking an Indian dish.

 Pre-packed nasi lemak. Gone are the days of RM1 breakfast. Then again, gone are the days of me paying for breakfast. Not because someone else is paying but I don't take breakfast that requires paying these days. Thank God (though more accurately, my employer) for providing free coffee and biscuits.

 Nothing like an milo ais kao for those hot days. Lately, restaurants and mamaks have been watering their Milo drinks down until it shouldn't be called Milo drink but Milo flavored water. As again, I have my employer to curse thank for supplying endless supply of Milo to drink myself to diabetic levels.

Ok, just kidding. The supply runs out when the delivery man can't make his run and we are left with a pantry sans Milo. The horrors. Of course, it is worse when the coffee runs out. And that has happened far more often than it should. The office ends up with a bunch of caffeine-deprived IT geeks who may very well audition as an extra in The Walking Dead series.

Ok, just kidding. Again. It is just me. No coffee Amy.

 Slightly charred on the sides, apam is best eaten while still warm. To be honest, I haven't tried that many apam around town so this is the only to benchmark. While it's not something to go wade through horrendous traffic and exorbitant parking fees for, they do make for a nice treat if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

 The other variation of apam has gula Melaka. Because you can't possibly have too much calories on a single plate, they added more in the form of brown sugar. Sweetens the deal (more).

There is another apam stall closer to home but its opening hours mean having to wake up early. Anybody up for a breakfast/lunch with me? 

Comments