Review: Doi Chaang, Jaya One PJ




 Lot 100-G.031, Ground Floor,
The School, Jaya One,
No.72A, Jalan Universiti,
Seksyen 13, Petaling Jaya
Tel# +60 12-688 1344
https://www.facebook.com/doichaangmalaysia


Since we were already in the neighborhood, we decided to come here for coffee.  There was a robotics competition for high schooler going on that weekend. During my high school days, it'd be great if I knew how to fix the chains that came off my bike. These kids were building things capable of moving light, simple objects via remote control. A slight tinge of embarrassment but lets move on to the coffee.

Hailing from Thailand, globalized by a Canadian company, Doi Chaang certainly is impressive in making a profit and giving back to the community. Which is why, you can buy the beans and brew them at home yourself. Why is their logo so grumpy? No idea but he shouldn't be now, now that his beans are available worldwide. And he gets back a share of it too.

It's good that the trend is moving towards coffee from alcohol which makes the liver healthy.
I want to say it is also good for my tummy but there are also equally as much new food that's trending lately. Skinny bitches girls on instagram makes me jealous of them but that's probably what my friends around me secretly thinks of me too. Sometimes, they don't think of me so secretly as they tend to blurt it out how lucky that I am still thin despite eating 'so' much.

The place can get rather crowded with youngsters and hipsters though these days, they seem to be one. Touting their laptops or tablets with a glass of coffee at hand's reach, look at their screen and it's Facebook, some online games or the like. Why? Do their Internet connection at home suck that bad?

My lunch companion was preaching about how this company ensures that the farmers are fairly compensated unlike other conglomerates that are big on profit, small on farmers.

One thing for sure though, their coffee prices are certainly competitive. You'd be lucky to find any coffee joint that would serve you coffee that's within the single digit range. Let's not drag my favorite kopitiam into the picture. They don't have air-conditioner, eye candy waiter/waitress to serve you.

The cakes are reasonably priced too though not much of a selection.

Caramel walnut cheese RM 10.90

This would be the first time for me seeing a cheese cake that has chunks of nuts that haven't been crumbled down. If anything, there's almost an equal ratio of cheese and walnuts with a nice crumbs layer on the bottom. Certainly a good cake by any measure.

Since it was my first visit and coffee in generally don't quite faze me, I left the ordering to them. We all got iced coffee with different beans. Mine was with peaberry. Not that you could tell the difference until you take a sip.

It isn't the best coffee I've tasted but does have a pleasant taste to it. Similar to Thai iced tea with a milkiness to them, they are a great way to introduce anyone to coffee.

Comments