Review: Iku, Damansara Uptown


No. 21, Jalan SS21/60, Damansara Utama,
47400 Petaling Jaya
http://www.iku.com.my/

Japanese food tops my favorite food list ^_^ Come on, it's delicious and healthy. Even the worst offenders (deep fried version) are surprisingly healthy as compared to other cuisines. The bad thing about them is the prices.

While Iku isn't exactly cheap like Sushi King (actually, how much does Sushi King costs these days?), it is one of the cheaper Japanese restaurants around. Thanks to GroupOn for letting me know that it is possible to have a plate of sushi for less than RM 5. Whether that is sufficient or not, well, you get what you pay for.

On the two dinners that I was here for, the place was quite deserted. The first time was because it was near to closing time while the second was during a rainy night. Perhaps, they cater for the lunch crowd. They do delivery too but maybe not all the way to Cyberjaya. Otherwise, I'd ask them to cater for my dept lunch.

Pickled ginger and wasabi-ed soy sauce. During my second visit, the food took quite awhile to arrive that I started munching on the ginger. My dinner date looked at me and gasped, "You must be really hungry". That I was =( Not sure why service was slow because the restaurant wasn't crowded (only 2 other tables apart from us) and there were enough manpower (few outside, few inside who were happily singing away and could be heard from the outside). The waiting time was indeed quite a damper.

They used to have this sushi fridge right after the entrance where you can pick which sushi you want to either eat there or take away.

Salmon maki with honey wasabi - a non-conventional take on the humble maki, the secret lies in its sauce. My first experience with fusion sushi was starting on the right food.

Deep fried salmon skin maki - I don't think this is available anymore in their menu which is quite extensive to begin with. This is a more traditional take that sadly turned out a bit dry on the inside.

Sorry but I can't remember what this is for the life of me. It's the old age catching up.
One thing for sure: it was carb-y and slightly cheesy. Think it was pan fried potato :D Not that it was bad but my love for Japanese food has made me more tolerant of them, bad or good.

Inari orange ebiko RM 4.80 &  salmon maki RM 5.80 & kani ebiko gunkan sushi RM 3.80 & spicy white tuna gunkan sushi RM 3.80. 
Finally, something more original. As you can tell, the prices are rather affordable but the size is slightly smaller too. The ingredients were fresh so they were all enjoyable.

Spicy unagi roll RM 18.80

Somehow, with their specialty dishes, they managed to mark up the prices and upsized the portion but scrimp on the good stuff. The roll had more rice than filling (seafood) which was quite a waste for an otherwise good food. Why cheat me like that?

Soft shell crab maki RM 11.80 - looks so similar to the previous that I may have mixed them up. 

Make no mistake though as both have rather different flavor profiles, thanks to the sauce. This had a hint of chilli to it. Yes, spicy maki and not from wasabi. How's that for a change?
Again, if not for the abundance of rice over seafood, there is nothing wrong at all here.

White tuna sashimi RM 7.80 - Thankfully, they weren't as stingy with this sashimi. Each slice was rather thick and fresh.

While it may burn a hole in your pocket to be properly fed and satisfied here, it's worth the splurging.

Comments