How to: Bake Yogurt Chicken

Hello all. The domesticated Amy is in the house today to show you a simple recipe. Today's session is quite a stark contrast to the previous one in that today's ingredients are rather fresh, not leftover (except for the herb).

Once in awhile, my brain comes up with these weird ideas, putting together seemingly opposing ingredients together into a single dish. The idea takes awhile to materialize as I'd research on how edible the meal would turn out. Strangely enough, my desire not to waste my near expiring yogurt yielded this plan to marinate chicken in the yogurt and put in some herbs for flavor. You know, just in case the yogurt has no flavor.

The cast of ingredients are slightly more glamorous this time, thanks to the use of Western herbs. These were leftover from my birthday. I chucked them into the freezer with hopes that they survive. That sounded rather off because the freezer technically kills them but, oh well.
At the moment, that's my favorite yogurt but Jaya Grocer stopped selling them in this side. Instead, it's by the buckets. That would be way too much for me to consume.

The recipe is simple enough. Put the yogurt, herbs (I used rosemary and thyme) and meat into a bowl and give them a good mix. Lemon thyme may be better for that citrus twist. How much of everything ? I'd say about 2 stalks of each herb. Not necessary to chop them up. Let it marinate for an hour or so.

While that's happening, cut the sweet potato into sticks. Oil the baking dish lightly. My secret to doing that is by pouring the oil onto the dish and use a stick to wipe it all over. Ingenious. Again, throw in some thyme and also chilli flake for that heat. Sprinkle on salt but that's really optional.

Preheat the oven to about 180C. Pop them in together to save time. Every 10minutes or so, give both a good shake so that it all gets evenly cooked and doesn't burn at the bottom. Do that for about 40minutes.
Depending on how thick your sticks are and how big the meat is, one would take longer than the other to cook. With chicken, you can invest in those thermometer to confirm the temperature inside the flesh. My cheap economical sensible method is by ripping the chicken apart to the inside of the joints. If that's cooked, you're good to go.

Added some toast to truly complete the meal. Yes, I usually eat straight from the baking dish. Nobody got time to wash so many dishes.

I'm thinking of building a mini white studio. Not something large but tiny for times like this to take better pictures. But the important question should be: should I improve on my cooking or photography skill first?
Neither. Money making skill is more important.

It does seem that there are some people who maybe looking for clues on who I may be. Well, here's a picture of me.

An easy trick to making food look presentable is using a clean plate. Not necessarily anything fancy. In fact, a plain simple white plate would showcase the subject better without being so much of a distraction. The simpler trick to this is just to wipe the sides/perimeter of it  clean. Well I could but it was my own dinner and these stains are hard to wipe away since it was literally baked onto the dish.

The sweet potato sticks turned out just nice. Slightly crunchy, the key is not to cut them too thinly unless you want to literally roast them. The toast was great with the gravy from the chicken which was rather watery (can be fixed with some corn flour to thicken it but I prefer it this way).

This is one of those rare experimental cooking which turned out well in my favor.

Comments