Ramming into 2015: Visiting

Is 5 months too long ago to talk about? Maybe under ordinary circumstances but I've been, um, busy. Truth be told,  I was collecting up the pictures to take my own sweet time to blog about them. Slowly getting over the pain of losing my collection.

We dropped by my uncle's house for a lunar new year get-together. It was the first time ever any of us ever stepped foot into his house. Not sure why he never quite invited us before though he had been staying at another house previously before shifting into this one.
This visit may have not materialized if not for an accidental slip on his part last year about him hosting his in-laws for the festive season. One thing led to another and thus, this year we were invited to his place.

Such invitations can be rather awkward, feels insincere and I usually try to steer clear of it.

His house is located atop a hill so you get a pretty clear view of not one but two KL landmarks. Can you spot them?
Although the house is relatively big (by Klang Valley standard), it did feel rather sparse. Or maybe it's sparse so it appears big? It was surprising to see his house like that because I thought there would be..... more stuff? But, it's his house and whatever rocks his boat.

Our host cooked his creation of baked potato (way at the bottom) layered with baked beans, sliced cheese and topped off with cheese. It was a simple dish that anyone could easily recreate at home but here are my suggestions:
  • mash the potatoes up and add in milk, butter and cheese for a nicer texture. 
  • use chorizo because those things are da bomb

The quintessential CNY dish: vegetarian dish with fatt choy, bean curd skin, black fungus or clouds ear, silver noodles and loads of mushroom. It is a very homely dish which my aunt is very good at.
My uncle also tried his hand at making slow cooked pulled pork which turned out not too bad. I am interested in cooking beef and pork but not sure how to go about buying the meat =| My chicken meat is usually purchased from the grocer where it's already been pre-cut into various parts :D

Pickled cucumber with pig's innards. Another one of my aunt's contribution despite the fact that she isn't such a fan of internal organs. As a Chinese, I am not particular adventurous when it comes to internal organs. But, proud to say that I am slowly learning to appreciate it more.

Pig's trotter braised in black sweet vinegar. A confinement quintessential, they say the more sour it is, the better it tastes. My personal take is go easy, dude aunty. It does give the egg a rather nice flavor though.

Last but not least, braised abalone. Not sure what's the deal with abalone because they aren't all that nutritious and cost quite a bomb. This were cooked in its original sauce which was great in enhancing its sweetness. The thing that I like about this is its slightly chewy soft texture. Other than that, if it's coming out of my pocket, no thank you.

Comments