Thing I Learnt - 30 July

A creature of habit, that I am.
Change tends to throw me off guard. Even when it's expected or overdue, my life has a set of routines which I adhere to almost religiously. Eat, sleep, rave work, repeat. Anything that causes a disruption that flow gets me worked up unnecessarily. There is comfort in routine.

 Which is why it took me by surprise when someone asked me why I bring so many of my gadgets with me during lunch. Here's a sad fact: my lunch time is usually spent alone, away from the maddening noisy crowd. Thus, these are technically, literally my lunch companions. That's my tablet to play my games because really, once you go big, you don't want to go small unless if the bigger one runs out of juice. The left is my awesome Mi3 which keeps me connected because my Xperia on the right has no phone line and hooks onto Wifi only.

wait, so your Xperia has no line?
no SIM card at all.
so why do you bring it along?

That caught me off guard and I asked myself the same thing. The first answer that came to mind was that I've been carrying it all the while sans connectivity that it only made sense to. Delving deeper, it does make for a good spare especially when the Mi3 is running low on battery. I also do install some apps on the Xperia since it has expendable memory. Plus, anything that's kept away and unused for a period of time tends to break when you take them out of hibernation. Like Internet Explorer.

The true reason dawned on me on the drive home: music.
Sure, there's Spotify to stream but that thing literally sucks data (and money). When I tested it out one morning for streaming about 15mins, it ate up 28MB. On good days, my daily commute for work alone would be 1.5hours. On bad days, that may stretch beyond 2hours. My math is bad at this hour of the night (or any given hour of the day) but it's easy to tell Spotify is may eat up my data before I can even sell my backside to payback Maxis. There is the option of going premium for offline data access at less than RM 20 (last I recall) but I ain't paying for that. We are talking about at least 2 meals there sacrificed.

A picture of my precious <3
People say that the technology that is supposed to keep us closer is only making us more distant.
That we are now in the age where things are loved and people are used.

Do you know why?
Because things don't lie, cheat and betray you. Things don't break your heart. Things break when you break them.
People on the other hand ....

Comments