Review: Soi 19 Thai Steamboat, Tmn Petaling (PJ)


 14 Jalan 5/44,
Petaling Garden,
Petaling Jaya
Tel# 012-273 5096
https://www.facebook.com/SOI19ThaiSteamboat

I bought this deal because I knew for sure that there'll be that one person who'll go try it out with me.  This is what happens when you're single but want to try new things. The amount of planning can be quite daunting. Can I fully utilize the voucher? Can I finish up the food? If not, is there a takeaway option? Will I get pity f*ck stare from other diners? Things like this run thru my head when it comes to dining out.

You can opt for either indoor or outdoor dining.  Both of which you will still be serenaded from the pub beside. Most of which would be Indian karaoke songs. I kid you not. 


Few different variations of chilli sauce, all are good, none too spicy to handle.

 Pandan infused iced water which was good to cool down the heat.

300g of sliced pork + 150g of pork sirloin + 150g of liver.
Not necessarily in that order. Unfortunately, both of us don't take take the liver though we did try (and didn't like it).

Vegetables + rice noodle + 2 sticks of crab meat ball / sotong balls.
 These are like the fillers for the steamboat. Ever since I started buying fresh greens every weekend, it feels like such a ripoff eating vegetables outside.

 Deep fried spring roll.

 No fancy filling inside (carrot, cucumber, tang hoon or cellophane noodles) but we both find it yummy. Maybe it was my love of deep fried food talking there.

 Getting the grill-cum-steamboat ready. It is rather ingenious to have these 2-in-1 contraptions so that you could have the best of both worlds.

 Grilling the meat took a bit of time and effort as the meat wasn't very thinly sliced. Good because you get bang for your bucks. Bad because you'd be hungry waiting while smelling the aroma of meat cooking away. The meat was marinated well and good enough that you don't need any chilli sauce though it did heighten its flavors.


Although the food was generally good, the price tag was anything but. If not for the GroupOn, my purse would have felt quite a pinch.

Comments