Review Dim Sum King vs Steamboat Queen, Sunway Mentari

 No.12 & 12A, Jalan PJS 8/17,
Dataran Mentari
46150 Petaling Jaya
Tel# 03-5613 7707 

By now, you should be able to tell what a big fan of steamboat I am.  When you put the word buffet in front, it makes my heart flutter. Just kidding. It actually sets it on fire because it means EAT ALL YOU CAN.
Having read about it initially on ahkeong's site (no, we are not that chummy to be on first name basis but we do have mutual friends), I suggested this place to the girls since he's someone who's given good recommendations in the past. Plus, with the recent rainy weather, nothing warms you up like a pot of boiling soup with yummy food.

Maybe the arms of a lover.

It was a Sunday dinner so there was only the buffet spread which was pretty decent. Their menu also offers cooked food which you can order while waiting for your DIY cooking to be done. Be sure to order well in advance because the service was painfully slow and took awhile to arrive despite a slow night and repeated checks with the waitress.

Although it may look like a small portion, the items were refilled throughout the night.
Part I of the vegetable spread. I like how they offered shimeji mushroom. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to test them out.

 Part II of the vegetable spread. I love baby spinach. Those things can cost quite a bomb.
Glad to report that their greens are fresh and crunchy, not that it mattered after you nuke them in a pot of boiling soup.

 The usual assortment of processed fish meat paste balls. These were pretty decent, had a nice springy texture to them without the sometimes fake texture and flavor you get from the mass produced fish paste products.

Despite my initial plan of eating the most expensive stuff to make my money's worth, there was only that much I covered. Happy to say that the mussels, shrimps and scallops were fresh.

 If you're not that adventurous, there are also the processed meat balls.

 More processed meat balls to fill you up. Of the few pork balls we tried, they were all delicious. Good flavors, great texture.

 One thing that stood out (oddly) was siew mai. I understand if it's steamed for dim sum but steamboat? I'll pass and that I did.

 Possibly the most expensive items of which I failed to try them all. fml.

Perhaps it's been awhile since my last steamboat or even buffet but my heart was singing. There were angels with harps when I saw the food on display.

 Deep fried shallots with oil and sweet peanut sauce. What was surprisingly missing was soy sauce.

 Their Chinese mustard sauce and chilli sauce more than makes up for the absent soy sauce as I kept refilling these throughout the night. Nothing like a nice kick to the palette with some heat in ways more than one.

  Luckily, I did try out their raw oysters. Though not superbly fresh, at least it didn't give me stomach ache after that.

 Sadly, we were too preoccupied with their buffet spread that  we didn't quite order much from their menu. While the food was generally fresh and the soup was great (pork bone and tom yum), we felt slightly thirsty by the end of the night, no thanks to MSG.

 Deep fried chicken wing. This was just so-so, kinda dry on the inside.

 Each table is allowed to order one seafood stir fry from the menu and the girls picked this. I like the Nestum by itself (sweet crunchy stuff which is surprisingly given that I never liked the stuff growing up).  But with the prawn, it didn't give much of a flavor. If anything, the prawn were rather dry. Only consolation was they were fresh.

 The waitress came over to our table and asked if the food was fine. We did the Asian thing and just said yes to which she left this plate for us =_="" It was a good mistake of misunderstanding here because these deep fried shrimp was way better than our own prawn dish. Juicy and succulent, and omfg, it is deep fried with sweet chilli sauce. Here, you can really taste the sweet freshness of the prawn. Life is good.

 Deep fried pork belly. Another item free to order, these were fatty so juicy and definitely guilt inducing that mel stopped after one piece. I don't give a rat's ass because these were so crunchy and again, deep fried. 

 Grilled Taiwanese sausage got me cracked up for all the wrong reason but being in the company of my female friends meant no lewd jokes. Although it had a great taste, it could have used more time on the fire to char the skin slightly, giving it a nice crunchy bite. Sadly, like how I am not getting any of this in you-know-what, this just came right out of the kitchen like this.

 They handed us with these jellies after we stopped with the main course and it was quite nice. Not overly sweet but certainly, not goddamn awesome either.

 Instead of giving buckets of ice cream, they provide Popsicle of different flavors, all of which from the same manufacturer. The flavors are pretty local too e.g. red bean, sweet corn, lime vanilla, chocolate and vanilla.

My first pick was this vanilla coated with chocolate. Don't expect it to be your usual creamy vanilla stick as this was almost a sorbet. Still, a nice touch of chocolate layer outside.

My sweet tooth wanted more so chocolate it was. Again, it wasn't that creamy which certainly didn't work in its favor since it is supposed to be chocolate. Good because it feels less fattening. Bad because it didn't feel like a proper ice cream.

 For our party of three, the bill came up to this. Per pax, it is RM 38 not inclusive of drinks. Yes, the drinks are not included in the buffet. There is currently a GroupOn deal running which actually either jacked up the price or they offer dim sum as well. There is also free membership which entitles the bearer to some freebie. Oh, and they even have an app.

What for? I don't know.
Although membership was free, this was something that didn't interest me to sign up.
The main reason why this is posted so quick is just so before the place is closed down (for good) whenever that may be. Don't get me wrong, the food is pretty all right and price is not bad but with such a poor crowd even on a rainy Sunday night, it is only a matter of time.

Comments