Review: Green Banana Leaf, Shaftbury Square Cyberjaya

This place is so new that it doesn't even have its own proper Facebook page. Or maybe because its patrons aren't the sort to be on social media. They are too busy finding ways to make more money or more rain, depending on the time of the year. Yes, India Indians.

A colleague of mine hailing all the way from India recommended this place, saying it is the best banana leaf curry rice in Cyberjaya, quite the closest thing to the real McCoy that you'll get here. Being a sucker for this cuisine, I jumped on the idea of having it last Friday.

One thing I like about the place is how it is fully air conditioned and  I didn't end up smelling of/like curry after that. Guess it boils down to good ventilation despite the open self-service food counter. As usual, you get three different choices of vegetarian sides with your rice. From left to rice, slightly spicy cabbage/beans (sorry, can't recall what exactly), stir fried long beans with onion and potatoes in light kurma gravy (most likely I am wrong about this too). Overall, the vegetables were quite good, the spices are rather toned down to my surprise. This doesn't exactly have that shock factor but does have that home cooked taste to it. A good place to introduce Indian cuisine to folks who are not keen on it.

They also have different types of curries and my lunch companion picked fish curry for me. It had a slight citrus kick, not as hearty as the chicken version but good all the same. I think my lunch companion thought that I may be the typical Chinese chick who can't eat spicy food and certainly eats daintily because he was almost in horrors when I started to eat with my fingers and got slightly disappointed because he stopped the waiter from giving me more rice and curry =(

The curry chicken was rather spicy in comparison but in a good way. Meat was nice and soft, well marinated with the  curry blend. Only complaint was, why so oily?!?

Something sweet to end the meal. Sago suspended in thickened sugar water, coconut milk maybe. He says this is no good but I like anything sweet even if they are no good to/for me. Especially guys.

Comments