Review: Pho Hoa, The Curve

G34, Jalan PJU 7/3,
Mutiara Damansara,
47820 Petaling Jaya
Tel# +60 3-7725 9880
https://www.zomato.com/selangor/pho-hoa-mutiara-damansara/menu#tabtop

Originating from Vietnam, Phở is similar to the Chinese beef noodle. While the Chinese version is more savory and stronger with beef flavor, the Vietnamese version is more subdued as it features more greens too. As such, Phở is a good choice for those who prefer a lighter taste.

Vietnamese coffee is special, not just for its taste but also how the coffee is made. It's dripped onto a glass to allow the water to fully absorb its flavor. My lunch date wasn't impressed with this cup of joe, mainly because the beans were over roasted and that translated into a bitter, burnt taste in the final product.

Gui Cuon RM4.95: summer roll shrimp, chicken, salad and rice vermicelli

I recall my first Vietnamese meal, thanks to these rice wrappers. In its dry form, the wrapper is translucent and doesn't look very edible. They usually serve it in a deconstructed manner i.e. you DIY your appetizer. Quite fun unless if you happen to be very bad with your fingers or very hungry.

These were ok, fairly unimpressive.

Cha Trung Hap (egg cakes) RM 7.95: home-style steamed chicken and egg pie
When this arrived, we looked at it and wondered what it was. As curious as it looks, the taste was forgettable. Needless to say, my lunch date had a rather blah meal.

As for myself, I ordered myself something more hearty. This also would count... If I was a rabbit 🐇

My rather big bowl of Phở. The clear broth has a taste of the beef. The savory notes are broken by the crunchy raw bean sprouts and mint (if you like). Depending on the cut, they may add in the meat at the last minute into the hot broth so that it doesn't overcook. What completes this is a hot chili sauce.

Of the few Vietnamese dishes I've tried, Phở certainly takes the top spot.

Comments