D#20th Sept

Thankful
  • managed to find my Gucci and Burberry handbags that I couldn't few weeks before. Almost gave up and thought that my former housemate stole it. Turned out that my housekeeping skill needs some a lot of working on. 
  • sold off Stephen King's It book rather unexpectedly. The UNICEF girl approached me to sign on their board but I declined until she saw that I was holding the book. I was actually on my way to check on the postage cost and asked her jokingly if she's interested to buy. Turned out that she was and it was a done deal 
  • loaded 2 new books onto my tab. George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm 📖 Yea, I'm starting to go on a reading rampage. 

Learned 
UNICEF Malaysia is stepping up effort on making the lives of children here better. One of it is around sexual abuse. Their efforts focus mainly on rehabilitation of such victims, providing counseling to help on dealing with the trauma, facilitate integrating them back into the society in order for them to lead a normal life. All that is good but wouldn't it be better to nip it at the bud?

The thing is, we all know that child abuse (and what more, sexual one) is wrong but it still happens in this day and age. It's worse when the perpetrator is someone known to the victim, even close and possibly in the role of a guardian. Yet, they are the very people who ruin them. UNICEF is working towards educating the society in identifying the traits in the children, helping them to get away from such situations, move them into a safe house and maybe get some justice in return.

My personal take is that while their effort is commendable in raising the awareness, setting up a booth in the Klang Valley doesn't feel like its tackling the issue. There is no need for a hard statistics to know the origin of most child sexual abuse are in the rural areas where the people are more impoverished or lacking in access to proper education. But, it's still a first step in enlighten the public and who knows, in few more generations, child sexual abuse will be a thing of the past.

Comments