Review: Chawan, Ara Damansara


 Lot No G-43A, Citta Mall
No. 1, Jalan PJU 1A/48
Ara Damansara, 47300 PJ
Tel: 03-7629 5888
Touted as a local coffee joint serving coffee from all over Malaysia (or at least the famous ones), they are definitely much cheaper than Starbucks and the likes. What you get is that old school kopitiam atmosphere.


Of course, that didn't stop the men few tables away from me from discussing about some million dollar deal in the open. Maybe they prefer to deal with business here while the people who patronize Starbucks are those living off them.

Youngsters these days look down on Chinese coffee shop because it doesn't have that hipster feel. Also, the ah soh/uncle/makcik/kakak/ahneh would probably give them an evil stare if they sit there for few hours to take pictures of the surroundings, the crowd, the murals (or lack of), the windows, themselves. 

I personally do prefer such joints because they prefer more authentic, less pretentious.  The coffee is not as bitter (maybe thanks to all that sugar, milk) so it goes down smooth. My purse most definitely enjoys it there too as one Starbucks could easily get me 5cups here. There are many different local flavors for you to try here. Served in the traditional cup, it doesn't get anymore traditional than this.

Crackers to break from the monotonous caffeine.

To be fair, I don't recall what my orders were. Frankly speaking, Chawan did good in trying to get the population interested in local coffee. However, I think some other local coffee shops do a better job at it. Take this cup for example. The coffee powder wasn't fine enough or it wasn't sieved properly or my impatience got the better of me.

Comments