the fear of falling

He came to pick me up after my part time job. As my arm was somewhat sprained, he took to the wheels and tried to navigate to a new place. After taking few dangerous turns going downhill, it was clear that he was reading the map wrong. Not wanting to be a nuisance but didn't want to be going into circles either, I asked him if he needed help. He didn't quite get annoyed but did speed the car up.

Of which then he realized that we were already at the edge with a sharp turn. It was too late by then and our car plunged down. He turned to me, panic stricken and we both knew very well this was going to be the very last moments of our lives.
I love you. 
He didn't reply but the look in his eyes told me the same. The impact was surprisingly soft. We found ourselves on our bed facing each other. It was just a dream, after all.
Marry me. 
And I said yes. We were back in the hospitalized as I was still injured. Hospitalized this time. Sitting in a comfortable silence, making origami bird as I wanted to make a chandelier lamp for my mother. Surprisingly, he obliged without kicking so much of a fuss. If anything, he was rather supportive. While making the creases, he was on a work conference call with his Japan team.

don't you need to concentrate on the call?
not really. I'm not required 
do you know what's happening then?
pretty much 
can i tell my parents about our plans?
sure. 

If anything, I was the one who was more surprised at his nonchalant reply. He was wearing a deep blue polo shirt. Just then, my mother appeared in the room with some flowers.

~~~
No alarm but it was at that point that I woke up suddenly, ending the dream. His name is Nicholas. Wong is his last name but I can't be very sure of it. No, none of my friends are called that. There is one with the same English name but he's attached and certainly not my cup of tea. As for Wongs, you can easily throw a stone at any Chinese guy during the PJ SS2 night market and you're bound to hit a Wong. While this dream isn't a premonition, the part on going off the cliff isn't so uncommon.

I've had a similar dream before i.e. driving off the edge of a winding road on a hill/mountain. In the car was my ex bf. We plunged into a watery grave with seaweeds flailing around us. There was once when my car actually did swerve around a sharp bend but thankfully, nothing happened. The same can't be said of the folks behind me as I heard screeching sounds as I made my way out. Unscathed.

Maybe this dream is a premonition. Not of my soul mate. But of how I'd meet my end.

Comments