Review: Yuen Kee, Aman Suria

First of all, let me apologize for the shaky pictures below. When I was invited to this dinner, it was at the eleventh hour.
we are here nearby your place for dinner. liew asked us to invite you. do you want to join us? 
uh, sure but I need to shower first. (I had just finished my exercise then)
don't have to. just change your clothes. we are here already. 
um.. i am literally dripping wet now. it's ok. next time then.

Tad bit disappointed until few minutes later, he rang me up again.
ok, quick. we'll wait for you for 15minutes. 
That was probably the speediest shower I took. You call me out for food and potentially free, I don't think even the prospect of my soulmate would speed me up that much.

They were actually having dinner here since liew liked their steamed fish.

Since they arrived earlier, dinner had started with this claypot curry fish head. Or rather, this is what was left of it. Although it isn't as thick as Kai Ming's, I find that their version isn't so bad either. The fish head had lots of bone for sucking which I don't really mind since you get to eat the nice, sometimes slimy parts of it. That is really the only thing slimy thing that I like sucking on. Fish head. And maybe crab. My dinner company found that the curry was just passable, partly because it was slightly diluted.

Stir fried sweet potato leaves. A peasant dish. Which is why a peasant like me likes it. Simple and straight forward, it is homely and another dish that I could eat on its own.

Steamed cat fish in garlic and chilli. Although the fish was undoubtedly fresh, we agreed that the garlic was overpowering and the chilli was a little too spicy for the sweetness of the fish. Quite a waste.

Chicken in herbal soup. Cooked in a claypot, the soup was simmering hot and chicken was cooked quite nicely. However, some parts of the chicken was slightly tough and dry on the inside. The soup itself had hint of typical Chinese herbs and dash of ginger but there was also a very distinct sweetness to it. Literally sugar sweetness. But I am not going to diss this soup because soup is my life. Or at least it's in my genes so I paired it with the dry meat and all is well in the world again.

Comments