Review: Medan Selera 223, Jalan 223 PJ

Jalan 51a/223, Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Actually this post is not just for a particular stall in this food court. Three to be exact. We headed here for dinner because it looked like it was going to rain. Somehow, we still ended up drenched in the rain because it was still falling by the time we were done =_= So much for avoiding the rain plan.

tk's favorite nasi lemak: Nasi lemak panas gerai Yati no. 6.
It's not difficult to see why this captures his heart stomach with its steaming hot fluffy fragrant rice and sweet slightly spicy sambal. The salty fried ikan bilis was the perfect companion to the sweet chilli and aromatic rice.

Another popular nasi lemak stall is right at the front. While Yati serves them fresh (and also pre-packed), this other stall in front near the entrance seems to do prepacked only. You can distinguish them by the color of the ink. Yati uses red. Chinese say it's no good to write your name in red but with a name like Yati, it's unlikely that they are Chinese.

My personal preference is for sambal that is more spicy than sweet, something that is hard to come by but this stall managed to. Or at least better than Yati. It is indeed spicier but not enough to send you scrambling for iced water. Unfortunately, because they prepacked the rice and all, condensation took place and the rice was too wrapped up that it soaked up the water and became somewhat clumpy. A flaw in an otherwise delicious nasi lemak.

I wonder if I am like that as well. Too wrapped up in my own little drama and paranoia that nobody dares to come approach me...

Supposedly one of the best maggi  goreng in town.
I love my noodles like me: dry.
This wasn't really dry though the flavors are not bad. tk said that it was a bit wet that night too and it is usually better. Maybe we'll find out some other time. Hopefully the dry version of it is better than the dry version of me.

With the rain showing no signs of stopping or even remotely slow down, we ordered half boiled eggs.  Made using the lazy method of a steamer, the eggs came out ultra runny, almost raw. I have always loved half boiled egg. Or eggs in general but the half boiled version brings me back to my childhood days when my late grandmother would pick few eggs from her personal chicken coop for my breakfast. So much so that I continued eating eggs at every given opportunity until my cholesterol shot up and I gave up my obsession with eggs. There were times when one week would see me consuming 4 eggs or more.  And I wasn't regularly exercising then =|

My choice of condiments with half boiled eggs are usually pepper powder and soy sauce. However, tk suggested ajinomoto pepper and 'dark' soy sauce. 'dark' because sure, it is black but the dark soy sauce I am accustomed to is thick and almost caramel like. This was more like a normal soy sauce albeit slightly sweet. The pepper is slightly flavored and reminded me of my old housemate who left it behind (thanks, kelly).

Half boiled eggs are an awesome way to satisfy your hunger and keep you satiated because not only is it healthy, it is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. tk nearly ruined it for me by commenting how it looked like the byproduct of certain activity. If your looks like that especially the yolk bit, you really ought to get that checked out.

Comments