Review: Bua Thai, Damansara Utama

70G, Jalan SS 21/62,
Damansara Utama,
47400 Petaling Jaya
Tel# 016-218 3699
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BUA-THAI-Cuisine-Bistro/156935147841725

Actually, is this part of PJ called Damansara Utama or Uptown? I think See Hoy Chan may have rebranded it to Uptown with its office blocks. Either way, this area has quite a number of eateries, some of them famous but its call to fame is certainly the unavailability of parking spots. It can get so bad that people not just double but triple park. I had the arse luck one day after my facial and some idiot was blocking me. I honked few times but nobody came out. There was no number left on the dashboard and it took him almost 10minutes to notice it. If you are going into a pub with loud music, ffs don't double park behind an MPV whose driver doesn't own the car and couldn't be arsed about ramming your car if she didn't have to deal with the wrath of the true car owner.

Of course, you wouldn't have known that but doesn't common sense dictate that you shouldn't even double park in the first place?

I passed by this restaurant a couple of times when it was still under renovation and was intrigued to give it a try. The stars were aligned and Groupon was having a deal for them. The only problem was getting someone to go with me. Luckily again, my stars were aligned and I managed to snag my usual dinner mate to tag along. My stars don't really align much these days. In fact, they don't seem to be there anymore...

This is Jasmine rice. At RM 2.50, it felt quite a rip-off despite being rather aromatic.

Seafood tom yum RM 18. This wasn't a particularly big bowl and there weren't that many of seafood in it. At least the flavors were good, being spicy and sour.

Green curry chicken RM 18. The curry was thick from coconut milk but a bit too oily. There were few pieces of chicken inside and I was expecting more for the price I was paying. It went well with the rice though.

Stir fried kai lan with salted fish RM12. Lots of chunky saltiness and crunchy bites.

Thai style otak-otak RM 15. Dinner mate doesn't particularly fancy this fish cake especially when steamed, citing its fishy tasting but I like it. Bua Thai's version isn't exactly fishing, thanks to the generous coconut milk and abundance kaffir lime leaves.

Tab tim grob or water chestnut in coconut milk RM6. I ordered this because I was craving for something sweet. They were generous with the jackfruit which I don't take. fml. 

I wish I could say about the water chestnuts but these were pretty small. Not bad but the ice could have been less coarse so that it doesn't require any munching into them.

Although the food was not too bad, the prices were on the high side that I wouldn't go again unless if someone is buying (*hint hint*).

Comments