Review: Kedai Kopi Shin Lok, Kuala Selangor


1 Jalan Kenari 1, Taman Kenari,
Sungai Sembilang
45800 Jeram, Kuala Selangor
Tel# 03-3263 7591

Before a full day's excursion, it is vital to have a proper breakfast. Thus, we headed to this place famous for its steamed buns or paos. My father, an avid pao lover, swears by them. I don't share his sentiments but why not?

The place was slightly packed with people from all walks of life, races.

Nothing like a nice cup of kopi panas to start the day right. It was rather strong but offset with a generous serving of condensed milk. Thankfully, it didn't give me Delhi tummy =D

Crispy yam puff. These were flying off the shelf or rather, straight out of the oven.

You can taste the multi layers of crispiness on the outside before a welcoming warm yam shines through. The yam may be on the thick side but I find it balances out the flavors of the sweet pork filling just right. This is how wu kok should be, not the one that Pun Chun served.

Whenever my parents pay this sleepy town a visit, they never fail to load up on the buns. Sweet, savory, pork, chicken, you name it, they probably have bought it before. It may not be wrong to say that my father loves his paos more than me. But it is all right. These buns certainly deserve that sort of affection.

Some people complain when the bun/dough is too thick and the filling is so little. I don't think this ratio is a problem here because the bun is actually so good that more is good. Steamed until it became airy and fluffy, this is the best pao I ever had and I have eaten my fair share of them, thanks to my father who loves going to various dim sum joints for his pao fix. The curry chicken filling is my first time and it was delicious, not too spicy.

Comments