Review: Devi's Corner, Bangsar


69, Jalan Telawi 3,
Bangsar Baru,
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel# 03-2282 7591
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Devis-Corner-Bangsar/342403085762

Another very famous eatery in Bangsar, Devi's Corner was featured on OpenRice's list of banana leaf rice that you must try. Banana leaf rice is a bane to my diet as it is my achilles heel. Actually, the leaf is optional to make me break my diet. Just take me to any decent Indian restaurant (or even mamak) and I'd load up the plate with rice and meat and veggie with a hearty serving of curry. My plate usually ends up looking like a bloody mess of orange goo. It is a guilty pleasure that calls for few days of dieting.

The standard fare. The rice was hot and not clumpy, a very good sign of things.

My favorite haunt for banana leaf rice is usually Nirvana and they set the bar pretty high. Comparatively, Devi's has a very different take when it comes to the side dishes. The bottom bright blob is sweet vegetable. Like sweet. Then there's the long beans and shredded cabbage which is interesting with spices dominating the dish. Wilted spinach is something I'd ordinary not take as it resembles a mess of mashed fiber but it wasn't so bad with the rice. Fried bitter gourd wasn't so bitter, quite enjoyable rather. Maybe it's the effect of being fried; we all love fried food. Overall, the dishes has a very strong spices blend in them. It's a very foreign territory to me, one that I am not entirely sure I want to be in for awhile.

Chicken curry and mutton gravy as per a regular patron's recommendation. As again, the flavors are dominated heavily by the spices but you don't get the spicy hot heat sort. I wouldn't say that these was bad, I just prefer my Indian food to have more heat to them.

Comments