Review: Fifty Shades Trilogy

If you have not heard of this book, you should probably head to the nearest book store and pick up a copy browse through the shelves for books to nourish the mind. Not magazines but actual proper book. People who claim that they read but their reading material is limited to magazines,  tabloids and newspaper don't count as reading. Sure, you do literally read like how you are reading my blog now but really reading? Uh, no.

Proper reading would consists of materials that affect your opinion, change your perspective. They shouldn't also be able to fit into a single piece of A4 paper. Unless if the font size is miniscule without double spacing. I personally find guys who read to be more attractive. It shows that they are well-read and open to discussion with good arguments. But having said that, the last book that I finished is Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Sure, I understood the words. Sure, I understood the actions. But did I understand the book? So, reading doesn't quite guarantee that your mind is more intelligent. Just more....... information. It doesn't translate into knowledge automatically. Like how you know my love for free good food but if you don't do anything about it (i.e. bring me out and feed me with good food), it is pointless.

While it would be preferable for the guy to read, I don't make it compulsory like someone did. To read two books a week is not a tall order. It is near impossible. There are some books that make you want to abandon all care in the world while some makes you wonder if there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Then, there are also some books which are all consuming that one week? I'd be lucky to finish it in one month. Case in point is Anna Karenina. The movie was very beautiful, aesthetic with an equally surprising plotline that I had to pick up the book. It was cheap at RM 50. But to finish it? Sigh...

When I first started reading Fifty Shades of Grey, it was actually quite engrossing. An almost suspenseful storyline. Great character development. Nice twists. Wait, am I really talking about the a book that many people hailed as an erotica? Actually, yes. I did enjoy the first book.

Second book was still a-ok but not as good as the first. To be honest, when I first picked it up, I didn't have high (or even any hope). Read it only to find out what the hype is all about. It is sort of like the modern day fairy tale where the handsome prince comes sweeping the damsel in distress of her feet and he rides her into the sunset in some bizarre plot. Sort of like Jeffrey Eugenides' The Marriage Plot but not as heavy with literature references thrown in every other page. Btw, don't read that book if you are on the brink of a mid life crisis.

Third and final book in the Fifty Shades trilogy proved to be the worst of the trio. It turned into the classic Sidney Sheldon/Danielle Steele books where the beautiful women are entangled in some sort of drama and a handsome man comes to save the day, only to find out it is part of a bigger plan to make them fall for them. Yes, I have read enough of those as well to come up with such a generalization.

Honestly, Fifty Shades started off good but things went downhill when the plot thickens like how any romance novels catering for sad women who don't have any romance in their lives could. No, Sheldon and Steele didn't ruin my love life with unrealistic expectations of men. Life did.

So, do I recommend this trilogy?
Yes if you want to get into the mood. Or your gf.
No if you want to keep your relationship healthy. Anal beads. Really?
But then again, that is my take. Maybe it'll rock your world. Or boat. Or bed. Or car.

On a closing note....
But my vocabulary is still mediocre at best.
Nor do I understand syntax, let alone literature.

Yet, still.
Date me?

Comments