Yoshinoya, Midvalley


Lot T- Level 3, 15,
Lingkaran Syed Putra,
Mid Valley City,
58000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel# +60 3-2287 1798
http://www.yhmalaysia.com/Yoshinoya.php
The story of Yoshinoya in Malaysia is a peculiar one. If you've been around for awhile, you would know that this is not their first attempt in this market. The previous one saw them closing down one by one. As such, when news of them opening up a branch here broke, people were reminiscing about the good ol' days and were looking forward to it.

Well, I was probably too young to remember as that's what someone old(er) told me 😝


Ontama beef bowl
This is one of their more famous dishes. It is basically rice topped with beef and onion simmered in sweet sauce. Or Gyūdon for short. The egg is cooked until almost half boiled, famously known as onsen tamago. If you're looking for something simple but hearty, this would be it. The only gripe that I have of this is the sauce can sometimes be a bit too sweet. 

Yasai tempura  with tamago. Did that make sense? Sorry, trying to show off my pathetic Japanese language skill. Someone commented that my Cantonese is really limited to food vocabulary 😓Eh, I can't help it if the cha shao bao song is so catchy.

On the left is fish tempura, right is vegetable tempura with egg on top. How does the Japanese manage to fry food and yet not have it taste oily? Is it in the oil they use? Or the way they do it? Either way, I'm happy that these didn't come covered in a thick batter like how the Chinese wants you to go on a treasure when eating fried sotong.

Fried chicken was a bit too dry and one that I wouldn't mind biting into the juicy succulent KFC and get my fingers all oily.

Comments