How To: Cook Chilli Crab La Mian

If there's one thing that's undoubtedly Singaporean and they can proudly proclaim it as so, it'll be chili crab. They liked it so much that they decided to give you the instant noodle version of it. Although it's easily to lump it into the category of instant noodle, don't be fooled into thinking that cooking it will be just as easy. Also, if you're buying it on Malaysian soil, they cost almost RM 20 for a pack of 4. Or maybe more. So far, I've seen it on the shelves of Jaya Grocer.

To make it tasty, they give you the sauce along with the oil. Both look quite ordinary but the sauce packet is almost the size of my palm. And it isn't that flat either.

I was a little skeptical as the instructions say to boil the packets for a few minutes. I mean, really??! Since life is short, I threw them into my pot of boiling water and let it do their magic.

The noodles are supposed to be cooked in a separate pot in the mean time but since I was too lazy to wash another, I waited for the sauce to be ready then cooked the noodles next. If you're familiar with Korean instant noodle, you would know the portion is quite large. Well, the Singaporeans decided to one up them. For a minute there, I wondered if I would be able to finish it myself 😅 That really doesn't happen much btw.

Once the noodle is ready, fish them out onto a bowl and empty the sachets into the noodle. Give them a good mix. The texture of the noodle was great despite being in my hands as I often have a tendency to overcook them while willing time away on my phone. The sauce was slightly spicy but not too.

I haven't tried the actual Singaporean chili crab before so can't comment on how closely this replicates that. As a meal itself, I would say it's quite good and definitely a notch above your usual instant noodle.

Comments