The commercialization of Wesak


Although I've stayed in PJ for close to half a decade now, this temple was a total surprise find because who would have thought there'll be one hidden in a corner of this urban hood?

Partly because I don't do much prayers here though come to think of it, neither did I back in Klang. Oh the joys of being raised by not-quite religious parents. This isn't Chinese New Year but just Wesak though depending on who you ask, some may say Wesak is more important. For the rest of us, it translates to another day off 🙌

It almost feels like a night market, with the stalls lining up the street and the people walking along.

The lack of a religious faith never quite bothered me. I mean, you don't know what you don't have.

It's not my upbringing's fault. Or my environment. Things like this, you need to have the underlying belief before you can bring yourself to place your trust in a higher power that's invisible.

These people obviously are already into it. Funny thing how every good and bad that happens can be attributed as some form of divine intervention.
Oh, you got injured in an accident or lost all your money in business? That's God testing you to see how much you deserve the good things like a place in heaven.
Oh, you strike the lottery or got the son you wanted? That's God showing you His mercy and how much He loves you.

Not so much of God here, but their ancestors. People say that by praying for/to your ancestors, they'll ensure you get abundance of wealth and health, or at least a life not of misfortune.

Personally, life is generally what you make of it. Sure, some form of religion is good to keep you grounded and stay off a life of crime but can anyone say for sure what happens in the afterlife, if there is such a thing?

Then you think about the piling bills, escalating debts, crying kids, nagging parents/wife, it's not hard to be desensitized and caught up in the pursuit of today instead of the after life.

For awhile, the thought of death plagued my mind. What happens when I die? Do I float in space? Look down at those I've left behind? It scares me. Then, when my Candy Crush game is back on, I forget about them all 😁Try as I may, religion is not quite my thing.

Comments