Review: Chooi Yue, Ipoh Garden South

No.2, Tingkat Taman Ipoh 12,
Taman Ipoh Selatan,
Ipoh
Tel# 016-534 5965 

Apart from being a lousy blogger, I also happen to be a lousy morning riser. Mornings are just not my thing. Give me a couple of hours to find myself up/out. The extended family was not very happy that I woke up late so we came here at the peak hour when people were either in the middle of breakfast or simply, like us, waiting for the former to bugger off  =(

So, was it worth the wait?

Har gao or shrimp dumpling and updated siu mai or pork dumpling. While both are not delicate, taste wise was ok.

Steamed pork ribs in black beans and siu mai or steamed pork paste. Oddly enough, the former is something which I never quite taken a liking for. More accurately, just not something that I'd try. Not that both are something which I utterly hate. Just ... don't want to eat, if that makes sense.

As for the more traditional dim sum, it was a bit too porky tasting (as usual) for my liking.

Steamed fried fish ball. Eh wait, what?
Slightly fishy tasting but nothing some sweet chili sauce can't mask. Maybe my sadness. Unless if I smear them across my tear stricken face. Then it'll appear as though I'm mad, no more sad.

Char siew pao or steamed pork bun. Why is it that they have that green veggie there?!? Oh yea, supposed to make the filling more fragrant but my personal opinion is that it's way too pungent.

Braised chicken feet in red bean paste. Or something... because I don't take them either =D

Loh mai kai or steamed glutinous rice, something which I do take but I shouldn't as it gives me bad digestion. Why is it the things that we like are the kind that we shouldn't have? fts.

Salad prawn as per the direct translation from Cantonese though it is more accurate to call them deep fried shrimp dumpling. Anything fried is good by my book but sadly, these were just a little too much of the paste than the actual shrimp.

Wu kok or deep fried yam dumpling. One of my dad's favorite, I only found them late to be rather tasty. Love the crispy outer shell that is also delicate at the same time.

Deep fried Chinese crullers stuffed with pork paste in sweet sauce. So much love in one tiny plate.

Deep fried pork spring roll with salted egg yolk and century egg. The kind of things that Asians go gaga over while Westerners go ackack over.

Pan fried brinjal stuffed with pork in sweet black bean paste. Similar to the yong tau fu version, only with a different sauce. Also becoming my favorite.

Deep fried prawn spring roll. You can actually bite into chunks of shrimps that were rather fresh and juicy. 

Comments