Mix N Fix: Do Good With Food

 My first ever event (not counting those solely for freebies), this sounded like a good starting point of giving back to society. For someone who is socially awkward and hard to find a good crowd person to socialize with, my only saving grace was my host. Ordinarily, it isn't something I'd attend on my own. Still, it is an intriguing idea of helping others thru food.

True to Malaysian fashion, the event was slated for 7pm but we weren't late though we waltzed into the venue at 8pm. Seriously my fellow Malaysians, wtf? Once my no soggy-fries movement becomes a success, punctuality would be my next objective.

In a nutshell, the event showcased the folks from Mango Chilli and Meals for All on how they are trying to return to society thru their foundations. Both have their own strategy/concept on how diners would be able to contribute when they dine there. Both have its own merits and demerits. Somehow, along the night, few things circled in my mind:
  • Why is it perfectly all right to spay or neuter animals as they can't take care of their youngs and control the population but the same can't be done for people living below the poverty line?
  • Instead of spending all the money into marketing/publicizing the concept, why not directly channel the funds to those in need?
  • How is feeding them going to help them improving their lives instead of steering their lives towards a more productive direction? 
  • Given the over population of humans and dwindling of food, when do you let natural selection kick in?
This isn't just the cynical me talking or the desire to be different and stand out from the rest. If you look at it closely, these are legit concerns.  The irony that these clashes with today's theme:
human rights day 
Who is going to protect my right to live in a world that only pities those who have fallen entirely off the wagon? Not a first world problem, I can very much assure you.

Comments