The Morning After

Sorry, not referring to Plan B. Don't get your hopes up high. Nothing (really) scandalous here. My right hand is a Plan B by itself :D

The next day, we headed out to explore town.

 This is my first time seeing a mirror that could reflect my entire body and make me look... small? Disproportionate is more like it. Apparently, this was to divide the living room from the dining area that led to the kitchen. A glass cabinet was too costly, hence the mirror.

 We headed out to the infamous wet market for breakfast brunch. With the lunar new year about 2months away, the atmosphere is already set to repetitive jingles of prosperity god knocking at your door and how it'll be a good year ahead. And the sea of red can be blinding at times.

While this is not my first visit to town, it was my first to this specific area of town.
It does seem like everyone who comes to Seremban must drop by here for food.
But I think it is also partially because Seremban isn't that big to begin with.

 It was nearly 11am but the economy rice stall is out in full force. It used to baffle me on how people can have lunch anytime before noon but lately, my tummy has been screaming bloody murder by 10.30am T_T Technically though, 11am local time is my body's 1pm time since my day now starts at 6am. Or 5.50am to be precise.


As it was very crowded, we were lucky to secure a table, thanks to the man managing this drinks stall.

 The iced coffee was not too bad but I'd like it to be more rich and thick.
Funny thing is our brunch ended late as the food took awhile to arrive that we forgot to pay for the drinks =B It only struck me after we went back and I was in the loo. No idea why but strange things do dawn on me when sitting on the throne.

 Some snacks from the stalls.

 Yau char kwai or oil fried ghost (literal translation from Cantonese) is basically Chinese fried crullers. Either it's a local style or we had a not so good version as it was a little dense, not airy enough on the inside though it was crunchy on the outside.

 Since it was the winter solstice, you must have tong yun or glutinous rice balls cooked in ginger sweet soup. These had black sesame paste filling and it went well with the spicy soup.

 Beef noodle Seremban style. I can still remember the very first time I had this many years ago during a business trip. Well, it wasn't like an all expense paid, staying in 3stars hotel sort of trip. More like the company was too el-cheapo and got us to drive down instead. The local in our group suggested a particular place serving this same dish and when it arrived, we all looked at one another and went, "wtf". Not that it wasn't good, it was an acquired taste. I suppose depending on how you decipher that statement, it could just mean "we didn't enjoy it".

 Roast pork fared a little better. At least it was closer to what we were used to back in Klang Valley. It is strange how I am not from KL/Selangor but years of staying here has attuned my taste preference to what the locals prefer. Of course, one may argue that the only thing I have of me that is related to my actual hometown is my NRIC which isn't far from the truth.

 Tow Kee Hakka Mee. Be prepared to wait for awhile. Maybe 15minutes. Realistically, that'll be 30 minutes. 

 Was it worth the wait? Well, it was good but you could probably find similar ones minus the wait e.g. at Famous Seremban Favorites. It baffles me too why I'd go order something I could just as easily get from the back of my house. Still, it was good to know that at least the one near my house tastes like the original.

 I don't think I've been in an actual wet market for the longest time. For starters, the stench can be overbearing. Since it is a wet market, things are bound to be wet. Most of which it'll be the floor. And if you are wearing sandals, the water can get onto your feet and *shudders* thighs. Ok, I am a city girl. My groceries come from Tesco, Jaya Grocer and the likes.

 One thing that I don't understand is why are village chicken eggs so expensive? Supposedly organic? They are small too. Growing up, my late grandmother who reared chicken at the backyard would pick eggs for my breakfast and they were small. Maybe it is the fear that ordinary chickens are all injected with hormones and whatnots that people will get diseases and die horribly.

You know what would be worse? Nobody dies and we run out of food that we start eating each other in the name of survival.

 Can you guess what this is? If no, please don't continue reading my blog as it's bound to be profanity laden and sarcasm thrown all over. I don't want you to come shooting or stabbing or raping me.
It is indeed very peculiar to see a public telephone though I don't know if it is still usable.
With mobiles costing less then RM 500, everyone can afford to take slutty pictures and video tape their adventures make phone calls on the go.

 I am not exactly a fruit person. But the girls happen to be. There is still a Mandarin orange, few apples sitting in my fridge from God knows since when. Please save the lecture of how they should be consumed within when and when or otherwise I'll get this and that.
I cook my own food and I eat them myself and I am healthier than most people I know.

Carbs galore. If there's one thing I like about the Chinese prayer ceremony, it'll be the steamed rice cake that comes in pink. Slightly sweet but has that savory tone to it, I never really got to eat them growing up because these cakes were usually used as offerings to the dead/unseen and nobody really offers them once the dead/unseen are done with them (not sure how they gauge that). Of course, you could buy them from the shops or night markets but those times, the fancy just doesn't strike me. Or maybe it's just a matter of wanting something I can't have.

 You know you're in that old part of town when you spot a signboard like this.

 Not the likeliest of places to go clothes shopping but that is exactly what we ended up doing. I bought a lacy tube for RM 24 of which GroupOn/Ensogo was going for at least RM 30.

 Petals in an organza skirt. Do parents dress kids up like this these days?

I was expecting to see something that reminds me of my childhood but there wasn't much.
Half the things are what you can easily get at Tesco these days.

A tad bit disappointment as I was expecting more of this

 2015 is the year of the sheep/goat/ram.
Either way, I still like them all.
In curry, stewed or even just plain grilled, they are awesome :D

Another flower stall.

A somewhat clean waterway but still smelly.

Comments