Review: Pantai Seafood, Kayu Ara

Located in a rather obscure part of PJ, you might be wondering if you are at the right area to get to this restaurant. But with a name like Kampung Sungai Kayu Ara, you have to expect running kids, wild chickens and motorcyclists who think they own the road.

With the lunar new year just around the corner, why not give this place a shot if you haven't already?
No, this is not a paid review. In fact, none of my reviews ever are T_T fml. 

Obligatory yee sang to ensure a smooth and prosperous year ahead. Over the years, I've come to lower my expectation of this famous starter and hence began to enjoy it more. Maybe I should do that too with my life.

Yau mak stir fried with  fu yue. That's Chinese Romaine lettuce and fermented bean curd. The latter took a while for me to get used to but once you are accustomed to that slight pungent taste, you'll appreciate it better with a bowl of hot rice. Like how older women are *cough*

You can tell how un-Chinese your friends are when they order sweet and sour pork at a Chinese restaurant. It doesn't help that in our party of 10, only 1 was an Indian. Not that this was not enjoyable, this dish is just the epitome of what non-Chinese would order in a Chinese restaurant.

Foo yong dan or onion shrimp omelet. Also another un-Chinese dish, I cannot diss this because I love eggs. They did a good job of making it thinner and crispy around the edges.

Deep fried squid because we must continue with the un-Chinese theme and how could you not in a seafood restaurant? I don't quite fancy the batter they used. Sure it was crunchy but it almost overshadowed the squid.

Intermission break when the pro photographer hijacked my camera. Can't you tell by the beautiful composition?

Nyonya style steamed fish. Not only was it fresh but the gravy was great. Not too spicy for our Chinese tongues. I find it weird how some people could live in this country yet can't take spicy food.

Homemade tofu with melons. There's something hearty and homely about this. The gravy was good with rice too.

Comments