a good end to a rainy (work) week

It has been raining for the past week. If it didn't rain in the morning, it would in the evening. If it didn't rain in the evening, it would in the morning. So much rain and you almost forgot that less than half a year ago, we had to undergo water rationing. But, one thing is for sure, come Chinese New Year (that's Feb 19&20), the sun will return. With a vengeance. It'll be so scorching hot that it will burn. Because that has always been the way. Always.

Somehow, this reminded me of a joke about India long time ago. When it rains, it pours. When it doesn't, it dries everything up into a drought. It is as though the gods would leave the tap on and let the water overflow the country. When they finally remember to turn the tap off, they forgot to turn it back on.

 The second week of January 2015 has been rather stressful and tiring. Mentally, physically and emotionally. I'm learning to handle my stress better than to let it get the better of me and it's improving. Somehow, it's as though the Lord is testing me =| It would have been better if He had test how much I could a person instead.

Yes, this is my table at work. Messy? Yes. The cleaner lady used to come back every other morning to clean our tables. She would neatly place my stuff into one corner so that she could wipe the table clean. Lately, that hasn't been happening. She has probably given up on me T_T

  Popped out for a much deserved lunch break with friends. Can you guess where this is?

  Whenever I come here, it always reminds me of my hometown with the (dilapidated) wooden structure and walls that have seen better days.

 There is this story about the ghost who inhabits banana trees. For someone who doesn't eat bananas, it's not a big deal. Except if that means no banana leaf and that translates to no banana leaf curry rice, that's when all hell breaks loose (for me).

This place is actually Dengkil, just a 10minutes drive away from Cyberjaya. When you consider how Cyberjaya is Malaysia's premier MSC city, it is a little sad to note that on the outskirts of it, there are still people living such conditions.


But then again, I saw some of the houses had nice imported cars parked in their porch too. Maybe they saved on the house to splurge on their cars which truthfully isn't such a wise investment choice given how cars depreciate while property appreciates in value. Quite like how men and women age.

  This is what I came for :D It is one of those guilty pleasures. Not because it is (very) fattening but it means lunch will take longer than an hour. Supposedly the famous loh mee originating from Ulu Yam, this noodle is best taken when it's piping hot and the weather is cooling like how it's been lately. Of course, you can take it on any other given day even when it's hot but be prepared to sweat like you just ran a marathon.

These are all made to order though I suspect the soup/gravy may have been ready in a large pot. It is no secret that some restaurants will keep refilling the same pot of gravy without ever finishing it because they believe that's what makes the gravy so delicious. After all, it's hours, days and possibly months of accumulated flavor. Of course, that also means the same pot hasn't been washed for just as long. This is why Malaysians have stomachs of steel but surprisingly, diarrhea/constipation/general stomach ache is notably one of the highest reason for emergency medical leaves. After period pain. 

What you get here is a very balanced flavor of the spices and pork. By default, they'll serve it with pork ball, pork cubes, minced pork and pork liver. The last one is an acquired taste and if you don't like the offish taste of it, remember to ask the lady to omit it during your order. Vinegar is another essential ingredient to fully maximize your experience.

But if this is not your thing, you can always go else where order other noodles e.g. wa tan hor.

So, after lunch and dropping one of them off, we headed to Prima 11 to get coffee. One of the thriving coffee joints in the vicinity, It's A Grind does have a rather good selection of coffees but they don't come cheap. It was my lunch company's idea to get coffee actually.

do you want to go grab some coffee? 
uh, that place? how much is it?
i think it's about RM 7-8
wow, that's pricey. I'll pass and go back to office and drink crappy bitter coffee
come on... I'll buy you the coffee ok.
are you sure? you can get it just for yourself.
yea, lets go. 

Just for the record, I didn't have a knife held to his throat. Nor was I holding the door, threatening to jump out of his car as he was driving. All I did was just complain about how sleepy the heavy lunch made me and closed my eyes for a bit on the drive back. 



 Apart from coffee, they do have tea as well as juices on the drinks menu. They have expanded the menu recently to include food as well. Not really sure if that'll qualify as a lunch as it's mainly bread, pastries and more recently a pizza that could rival my hand.

Maybe if you eat like a cat, that ought to keep you full.

 My nutty cow hazelnut latte and blueberry muffin at RM 11.50 and RM 5.50 respectively. Had it been up to my purse, I probably wouldn't be having them at all. The muffin was unaccounted for but the moment I laid my eyes on it at the counter, my tummy blocked out whatever rationalization my brain could spew out. It turned out to be the right choice.

The coffee was a very fine blend without any bitterness. The hazelnut flavor wasn't very prominent either. All in all, this is one caffeine shot that played out well with the dairy and hazelnut. Rich and creamy, quite the perfect tea time treat. The muffin was also yummy. Light and airy on the outside, they heated it up so it's slightly warm on the inside. Not too sweet, it was great with the coffee.

This week turned out to be slightly better than how it paned out. One thing that starts to happen when you start to lift weight is vascularity. Although I've been doing free weights (body weights) training only because I am too cheap to join a club unless you call a filled up 1.5l bottle and 10" tab to be sufficient weight, my veins are popping up nicely :D

Hope you had a good week and a great weekend to continue.

Comments