Review: BarBQ Plaza, The Main Place USJ


I've passed by this place few times in the past but never thought that one day I would step into it because it's out of the way and most of the tenants in this mall are already available in PJ. Why would I make that detour then?

On that fateful weekday, after failing to find for a good lunch spot around Subang, I opted for this place as it looked like an overcast sky with heavy rains ahead. Actually, any mall would have been good. Anywhere with covered parking to be exact. But what to eat in the mall? After browsing through their website, it was to be BarBQ Plaza. It had been awhile since I ate there and since it was a rather cooling day, why not?
More like I was too hungry by then and BarBq Plaza was on top of their restaurant list which came out alphabetically. So, remember to name your kids A if you want them to come out on top.

 Originating from Thailand, this is a rather fun dining experience. It's like the grilled version of steamboat. However, if you still don't know how to, they now provide a guide to optimize your experience. That's pork lard btw. Don't eat it on its own ok?

 The components to the sauce (from left to right): lime juice, sweet sauce, chopped green chilli and chopped garlic. They used to hand these out to you but they probably got tired of people like me who keeps asking for a refill.

We ordered the Korean set since that's their current promotion. What's a Korean meal without the fermented vegetable or kimchi? Honestly, I don't like it much but apparently, tk found it ok since he pretty much finished it. I like the pickled cucumber and fried anchovies with sesame more. The latter is like beer grub, so nice to eat in between the cooking and waiting :D The former is like a palate cleanser.


This is what you get in the main set. It doesn't differ much from the normal sets with the exception of the marinade on the meat. What you get are:
  • pork slices 
  • bacon 
  • chicken bites 
  • squid 
  • prawn 
  • seafood noodle (more flour than seafood btw) 
  • pork balls 
  • lots of veggie 
 Ordered an additional beef slices. Just in case.


Seaweed fried rice but I think it's more garlic because they threw in fried garlic slices on top and it's more pungent. This was actually quite nice albeit slightly dry.
People always say don't eat garlic before kissing but I think the other party should feel honored that you want to kiss them in the first place, garlic or sans garlic. Why do you bother if my mouth tastes like garlic? I like you enough to kiss you. If you let me kiss you because you are getting a kiss, then even if my mouth smell wonderful, you shouldn't let me kiss you then :(

 Fried sausage roll. Or as the pubs call them: pigs in a blanket.
Although a little charred, the bacons were crunchy and the sausage was firm with each bite. The garlic mayo (me thinks) was exceptionally good too.


In my few years of dining here, I find that the main joy would be in cooking it. For someone who doesn't really cook at home, this is one place to showcase your cooking skill (or lack thereof). Still, it can be fun to just sit over a stove and chat about the day. The food itself may not be totally awesome but it is the sauce that makes the main difference. Most importantly: the company.


And you know what really makes this a great experience? When you don't have to cook it yourself ^_^

Comments