Review: Emperor Cuisine, Port Klang


Have you figured out where to have your reunion dinner? If not, give this place a try as that's where we had ours last year.  Although the place was fully packed, the quality wasn't (totally) compromised. One thing though, if you were born or at least raised in Klang, be prepared to see familiar faces; many of which you may not have seen in ages (probably because you didn't want to). There aren't that many restaurants that could cater to a nice dinner and you don't end up sweating or smelling like you just came out of the kitchen.

I ♡ this herbal chicken soup. This is the best kind to have. Ever. 
Light on the palette, you could taste the sweetness of the wolfberry, savory chicken and the earthy mushroom. I could probably eat this and only this for the rest of my life but my internal organs would probably suffer combustion sooner from internal heating. But, that'll be a nice way to die. 

Poon choi. Another very healthy but potentially heaty dish, this one packs more ingredients depending on where you have it and the price. However, given that the dish is famous for being large with good ingredients, it don't start cheap. You have mushroom, abalones, pork in few different variations (roast, steamed, ball, minced etc), bean curd skin, broccoli, sea cucumber and whatever you can pay for. If you want to order or even just try this, make sure that you have a big company or those with big appetite and like Chinese food as this is chockful of Oriental flavors. We quite liked this but it was a little overpowering after awhile.
Best to eat it when it's still hot.

Steamed fish. Fresh fish steamed just right with deep fried garlic. Fish is a staple lunar new year dish. It sounds like 年年余 which roughly translates to "every year has abundance". Did you know that is also how my surname is written? It is the same as that very famous Chinese herbs shop franchise. Sorry, apart from the same character we are not related at all. If I was, I'd get myself birds nest for dessert every night, have ginseng drink every day, eat herbal chicken soup at every other meal. Can die from too much of nutrition actually but it's  ok. My body is my temple. At the moment, it's pretty much desecrated that people would think it's a temple for satanic purpose with a cult following who wouldn't think twice to killing themselves, should I feel the need for them to.

Chinese version of the pork knuckle. Stewed with herbs and mushroom, the meat was so tender that it was just falling off the bones. Of course it's fatty but hey, you only get to gorge yourself silly once a year because it's CNY. And you know what they say, YOLO!
Plus, it's nice if you die happy eating something so delicious. It would be a bummer if you practiced a healthy lifestyle your entire life, only to find out that you have cancer. Actually, I do happen to know of someone like that personally. It's sad but life goes on.

Prawn stir fried in soy sauce gravy. By now, we were really stuffed and it was hard to take this in especially since it involves more effort of de-shelling. A little too sweet for my liking, prawns have never been quite my favorite thing to order in Chinese restaurants. How is it that they manage to cook it until the shells stick to the body of the prawn, rendering it very difficult to bite the shell off? That's usually how I peel my prawn, just to keep my fingers clean.
Funnily enough, I wouldn't think twice to dive into my banana leaf curry rice with my fingers and have the curry smell linger throughout the day on them. Perhaps vain hope that it'll attract some Indian men into falling helplessly madly in love with me when in fact, it's just their nose tricking them into thinking it's mom's cooking in the office.

Stir fried glutinous rice with waxed meat. The roast pork was done in waxed style and it could give the original version a run for its money. Not a particular fan of the waxed sausage meat, it lent the rice a nice aroma but beyond that, I don't like them very much. Partly due to health reasons, partly because my mother used to cook it so much that it's enough to last me for this lifetime.

A rather lackluster and lazy excuse of a dessert. However, it was a rather befitting end to a very heavy meal. The jelly was a little sweet but at least light. The fruit tart was refreshing and certainly not very Chinese.

Comments