Review: Loon Sing Oriental Thai Seafood, KL


A spin-off from its very successful Nilai headquarter, this is a good news for people who are unwilling to make the drive down for some good Chinese food. Loon Sing has been around for at least a decade. Back when I was studying in Nilai, my parents used to go there for dinner. And I left college at 2003.

Although Nilai isn't exactly on  the way to anywhere (maybe except if you are really heading down south), people from all over the country (or at least Klang Valley) would congregate here for a meal. That speaks a lot about its reputation. Famed for their Buddha Jumps Over the Wall dish, it's one I've yet to try. Because it's too frigging expensive, me thinks. Any sponsors will be most appreciated. 

It's a double storey building with parking right in front. We were there relatively early (before 8pm) so parking wasn't an issue. The dining area is on the upper floor. It is relatively spacious but if you are claustrophobic, do note that there is no window :D Rest assured, air circulation/ventilation is good.

Since it was a lunar new year dinner, one thing that must be present is yee sang. Over the years, I've learnt that most places serve rather crappy version. There are few notable ones but those are by far and few. Thankfully, Loon Sing did a rather good job at it. The salmon slices weren't too thin and the sauces hit the right  note (actually, it's just the sweet plum sauce and oil). All the components really came together after the toss. A good year maybe? Well, actually it had been a relatively good one :)

We ordered one of the set dinner menu. This is the herbal chicken soup. It came with chunky pieces of mushroom, abalone and obviously, chicken. A rather well thought soup, it tasted homely with the different herbs coming together. The chicken flavor is rather pronounced but it balances out with the musky mushroom.
Disclaimer: I love soups in general so this opinion may be slightly biased :P

Roasted suckling pig. That's not hairy armpit but pickled jelly fish. It's the first time I see it being served along side roasted pig but the combination works. When you start to feel the meat taste overpowering, munch on some jelly fish and you're ready to chow down on more porky goodness.

The skin was crispy though the meat in general was a tad bit salty. It would have been good if they had sliced it thinner.

Steamed fish in soy sauce. For someone who doesn't take steamed fish, I am not going to comment on this dish. People would usually rave about how fresh and sweet the fish is while I'd go, "really? I thought it was a little slimy" and they start to roll their eyes at me.

Claypot seafood in butter cream sauce.

The seafood was exceptionally fresh despite how little flesh there really was. The gravy was sweetly savory, making this dish a crowd pleaser. Especially for the kids.

Vegetarian dish. Broccoli with mushroom, dried oyster, fatt choy and abalone. This is one of those dishes that is ultra rich in flavor. While I gave the mushroom a pass, the rest were pretty good. My father once told me that fatt choy is low in supply that it is hard to get the real McCoy these days. I don't think I'll miss it that much.

Fried glutinous rice with  lup cheong and pork. Generally, I don't like glutinous rice because of its sticky, gooey texture but frying it turned the rice slightly dry and actually delicious. The fragrant  Chinese sausages also gave it that aromatic savory flavor.

However, if you are like me with a not-so-efficient digestion system, steer clear of glutinous rice. Once, I finished an entire lo mai kai by myself (which is rare) and ended up spending a good part of the day between the bed and my toilet. It just wrecks up your bodily function in a not so nice manner.

Overall, the meat hit some high and low points. It is somewhat unfortunate that it ended with a rather mediocre dessert in the form of brown sugar sago and mochi. They weren't terrible but a little boring, no?

Comments