Review: Restoran Imperial, Klang


The same place my mother's birthday dinner was, but this is just a dim sum review. My father absolutely adores dim sum. He could have it every day of the day, had my mother let him have his way. On a plus side, at least it's dim sum instead of Klang's other famous dish, bah kut teh.

My old neighborhood had  a nice square field with running pavement around its perimeter. Occasionally, I'd go there for a run though I usually cycle around the field. There were usually the same people there jogging at the hour. It was strange because they were sweating buckets yet their bodies look like they never exercise regularly (which they did, more than me). Then, it dawned on me: they probably have fatty pork in the form of bah kut teh to compensate. Hence, nothing lost in the end.

A friend who occasionally participates in marathons came back from his virgin 21km run few months back. His legs were understandably sore and of course, it is vital to replenish your body. However, if your body is in that overweight range, wouldn't it make more sense to eat even more sensibly so that your body can burn out the fat? He called it carbo loading, I call it binge eating. But then again, as someone who skips dinner on weekdays but stuffs herself silly come the weekend, I shouldn't comment so much about it.

Steamed kaya bun in the form of bunnies. Yea, they did look a bit sad. Wouldn't you be to if your maker made you a sub-par version of something? Taste wise, it was a sad excuse for a pao. Not fluffy, not airy. Sorry, bunny. Even your cuteness can't save you this time.

Steamed fish ball. Ordinarily, I'd give this a pass since it's one of my father's favorite but since there were only three of us, I had one and was surprised by how un-fishy tasting it was. Some can have really strong fish taste in them.

Pan fried pork bun. I don't like the filling that has herbs and chives and whatnots that give it a pungent taste. Maybe it's supposed to help cover the pork flavor but I don't like those. The bun itself was nice with a slight crispiness.

Salad prawn. That is really what it is called though there is nothing remotely resembling a salad in this dish. Still, I love this when done right which calls for fresh juicy prawns and a good oil for deep frying.

Not exactly dim sum fare, this is braised yee mee which they got the order wrong :D My father wanted a different noodle dish but something got lost in translation. I still liked it as the cabbage was cooked until just soft, with a bit of bite to them and they were generous with the meat and seafood.

Comments