Review: Chong Kok Wah Tuo Guan, KL

 One of the more famous herbal dessert shops around, it apparently originated from Ipoh. Famous because two different friends suggested this place to cool down and get a happy sweet ending.

 I opted for gui lin gao. This is one dessert that you either love or hate as it is literally bitter jelly due to its herbal components. Legend has it that one of the ingredients are turtle powder but at this day and age, you think PETA or any animal activists would let you use turtles to make a dessert?

Texture wise, it is slightly firmer than grass jelly with a sharp, almost citrus kick to it. To my mother's surprise, this is one that I'd order after dim sum to cleanse the palette, given its bitterness. What can I say, I am a very bitter person so this bode well with me. Of course, they do give honey or syrup to sweeten the deal abit. Sort of like life. God gives you little hopes along the way when you are about to give up.

But despite my bitterness and jaded being, this is one that I can't fathom. Not even a spoonful of it and I wonder why would anyone want to put themselves through such atrocity. Perhaps I am not as bitter as I thought myself to be because this thing is like guilingao intensified about 10times and in liquid form which is probably its saving grace because you'd want to gulp it down at one go. It is supposedly very good for your health.
If you could get past its bitterness.
Then maybe you could, you know, come date me? Because if you can take that much of bitterness, I'm easy peasy. Oh wait... 

Comments