battered & bruised

When the new RM100 notes were issued, I didn't even realize it until the ATM started dispensing them. My ignorance was due to the fact most machines only spew out RM50 notes. On rare occasions, it'd hand me RM 100 instead. Do you prefer bigger or smaller denomination? I prefer the bigger value as my itchy hand tends to use the smaller ones faster/mindlessly that I'd lose track of my spending altogether. RM 100 is usually good enough to curb my spending but sometimes, it is hard to keep it intact :(

Regardless of its value, don't we all just love the smell of fresh notes? Especially those newly minted ones. There isn't quite a high like the scent of cold hard cash in your hand. Old, recycled notes, on the other hand, isn't less valuable but after hearing the news of how a man stuffed his underwear  with notes worth more than nine grand (MYR), I do not want to know where my my money's been. Ever.

It got me thinking though, even if it's been down someone's groin, would it still render the note any less valuable? If it came out of the mint as RM 100, it'll still be valued at RM 100 regardless of it's been passed down from, say, a VIP to a drug dealer to the fishmonger. It never increases or decreases its worth, always the same RM 100. Why? Because universally, or perhaps our society understand that no matter how crumpled or washed out it is, the note's value is RM 100. Nobody would dispute that it's worth lesser/more (except for those with special serial number or commemorative ones).

But, the same can't be said of a person. We think lesser of a person with time, their (lack of) accomplishments. But then again, we all change with our experience and the things that we encounter everyday. Our beliefs are molded by the scenarios that play out in our lives. Still, it doesn't justify treating someone like a piece of garbage.

Though some deservedly so.

Comments