Review: Thinking Cups, Aman Suria

Aman Suria is slowly stepping into the cafe scene but it'll be interesting to see if they do survive. One of them is Thinking Cups. Before going any further, here is a little disclaimer:
  • I drink coffee but it doesn't make me a coffee aficionado
  • My preferred version is the local ones as they are creamier, richer and ultimately, smoother. Well, most of them at least. Oh yea, cheap(er) too.
That aside, lets see what this place has to offer.

GroupOn was having a deal and it was a good opportunity to give it a shot without paying for the full price. I like that idea because you can then make a better judgment call if that place is indeed good (or not) without investing fully into your maiden trip there.

One thing that'll strike you is how wooden the place is. Wooden tables, wooden chairs, everything was so woody. I suppose if I had a penis, it may turn into a wood too. You'll see why in a bit. Don't worry, no pictures.

It was a lazy weekend and I wanted to catch up on my book that's now being used more of a weight than an actual book, hence the reason the need to set aside time to read it. Yes, it is that thick and heavy. No, the prints aren't large. I just picked the wrong title. fml.
When I got there the couch was already taken and the other couch was more appropriate for groups. Or actually, more than one will do. Not wanting to take too much of space, I took up a table at the side with the wooden stool. Yes, stool. The table itself was made out of wooden crates wrapped with paper and plastic for protection.

Now, when your tagline has the words coffee and book, one would assume that it meant it's conducive to drink coffee and read books there. The first thing that struck me was just how uncomfortable the chair stool was. If you have ever been to a local government school where they have those wooden chairs, you'd know what I am talking. Actually those were more comfortable than what the cafe provided as these were re-purposed and made to look like a chair. Even for someone of my size, it felt a little insecure like the lil bitch that I am.

Still, I didn't want to conclude how bad of a place it was just because they have really fat asses not to feel how painful it'd be sitting on wooden chairs.

Perhaps it was my luck but they ran out of chocolate so I couldn't order my De-facto hipster caffeine shot, mocha. Ended up with a cafe latte. Slightly caramel courtesy of the drizzle on top, it was nothing to shout about.

Cappuccino. Me thinks? Well, the coffee was just so-so and the uncomfortable seat was really the deal breaker here. Come on. If your coffee is just moderate, you could should up the game more with the ambiance. Sure, the book corner and books is a cheap trick but who'd want to sit for hours on a wooden chair for hours?

Ok, wait, that's what I did but really it's because I had no where else to go.

Comments