high as a kite

The whole of this week saw me kicking and screaming coughing my lungs out. What started out inconspicuously as a dry throat elevated to the full blown trio, the infamous sore throat, flu and cough. The worst is the first because eating/drinking makes it worse. At least with the flu, I could act all cute with my wheezing, already high pitched voice into cartoon. Ok, I still do act cute sans flu because I am shameless like that. However, whatever cuteness I could conjure evaporates into thin air with the cough as I whack my lungs out.

Funny thing is how it doesn't really present itself when really required (read: in front of the boss) but at all the oddest of hours. Home alone. In the dead of the night. Seriously, itchy throat, why?!?! My sleep has been rather interrupted this week; no thanks to the cough. Last night, things escalated that sleep barely came back. The brain is a very wonderful thing (or at least mine is). It could instruct my hand to reach for that new bottle of cough syrup sitting on my cupboard, twist and break the seal, down some to resume my sleeping.

Unfortunately, it turned out that my brain wasn't as I claim to be (like everything else I lay claim on) because it was quite a case of codeine overdose when I started spacing out about 2hours after waking up. It got so bad that everything felt surreal.  I knew where I was, what I was doing but I just ....... wasn't there with my body. For a good half of the day. And now after my second dose of cough syrup and flu meds, things are starting to feel distant again.

I suppose that is how being high is like.
I think.

Comments