Review: Penang Street, Aman Suria

As someone who's been staying in this neighborhood for few years now, it is my first time visiting this place. In the few times I passed by it while going to a massage at the parlor beside this restaurant, it was dark and gloomy. If not for people eating nasi lemak on its verandah, the place would have passed off as some dodgy joint. It could have been a chill out area for massage parlor's customers after their happy ending massage. Yes, that's what it looked like.

Thankfully, they underwent a renovation and it's now very brightly lit which made it look more inviting. A nautical theme, it reminded me of a Singaporean blogger's house of which a number of the renovations were sponsored. Why? For publicity sake. I don't expect anyone to sponsor my house renovation (not that I need any done) but I like anything free. Oh wait, who doesn't?

The sky was still bright as it was only 7pm. Growing up, my dinners would be around 8pm plus as my parents were both working. My friends would go, "wow, that's late" and when I hear that their parents start cooking at 4pm for dinner at 6pm, I would go, "wow, that's early".
Nowadays, I'd be lucky  to even have dinner at all :( Much work, much stress, only not much appetite. Maybe some free food would invoke my appetite.

The only reason I decided to try this place was because of GroupOn. For the past year, I had been on a crazy spending spree on GroupOn. So much so that my BCard has accumulated about 1000 points. Bear in mind that I don't use it at its merchants (because I don't know which ones they are), solely gained from GroupOn purchases. But it's true what they say of GroupOn: Thanks for showing me the things I can't afford, the holiday I have no time for and the memory I can't make.

My teh tarik was rather disappointing as it tasted rather diluted. That's peach tea which was not mine. A tiny bell was chiming in my head and thinking if it was going to end well. I mean, how could you get a quintessential local drink wrong? Oh yea, by hiring untrained inexperienced foreign workers.

Curry laksa arrived at the table with much grandiose courtesy of the strong coconut milk and curry aroma. It hits you right up and certainly brings out the appetite. The soup was very thick and they were generous with the noodles. There are bits of chicken meat and tofu skin but the star of the dish is certainly the curry itself. I wouldn't say this is the true blue Penang version though. Just a commendable version of curry noodles.

Lamb chop. This is like going to a whorehouse and say to its proprietor, "I'd like to have a hot sexy girl for a heart to heart talk. No sex". But that's the thing with hormones and cravings. My initial plan of ordering their nasi lemak was thrown out because there was something in me screaming for meat (protein to be exact) and lamb sounded like a good idea.

And that it was. The sauce was a mushroom with hint of pepper. The meat was grilled just right with the correct cut of lean with sliver of fat. Just like how you men don't like your women all bones, I like my meat with a bit of fat too. That's where the juice comes from.

 Chocolate cake with almonds. This was not too bad. Not too chocolatey.

The plain cheese cake was surprisingly good. I didn't have high hopes for it as it looked mediocre but like they say, don't judge a book by its cover.

Penang Street is certainly a good place to chill out and their food menu certainly covers an extensive list of the local food albeit at a higher price. That's probably for the air-conditioner. And comfortable seats. So.... sit longer?

Comments