Oriental Pavilion, Jaya 33

 P1.04, First Floor, Jaya 33,
Jalan Semangat, Seksyen 13,
46200 Petaling Jaya
Tel#03 79569288
http://www.orientalrestaurants.com.my/

We used to come here with such a frequency that the captains here were familiar with my father.  Their food was quite good but has seen a decline in recent years. 

 With the lunar new year less than a month away, restaurants have started with their Chinese New Year menu.

 Yes, we started Sunday brunch with yee sang. This is salmon with truffle oil. Honestly, I can't say that I tasted the oil there, though it isn't as though I have tasted it in its original form before 😂

 Thick slices of salmon topped with what I could only assume to be crumbled goat cheese. Or feta maybe? It was hard to tell after everything was mixed up. Including the plum sauce.

 My first toss of the year. If all subsequent ones are this good, I'm all set for the year of the dog. Crunchy and fresh ingredients, it wasn't too sweet and you don't get that artificial seasoning.

 Deep fried pork belly with garlic.
Both were fried together so you get an infusion going on. I got a fairly small piece which was not bad. Certainly not very crunchy as it had a bit of a batter which didn't spend much time in the wok. It was interesting but not enough to warrant a second order.

Dim sum wasn't in our order list but due to a mishap, we munched on some while waiting for the main dish. The fish ball was a bit fishy tasting. Char siew pao's bun was a little too sticky on the teeth. The prawn dumpling (at the bottom) was more looks than essence. Reminds me of why we don't come here often.

 Steamed assorted Chinese waxed meat with rice (not pictured here).
It is only during this festive season that these meat are in fashion, hanging in public display. I wonder when is some people going to start complaining about those. Personally, they usually taste either too sweet or salty on its own so the rice is a lifesaver.

Of course, these can be quite unhealthy due to the amount of fat and process but YOLO. Oriental's version is not bad though I do find it to be a it too dry. They didn't provide any sauce with neither the meat nor rice. The latter was lightly flavored with soy sauce and I suspect the meat were steamed on top of the rice, allowing their flavors to seep into the carbs. My mother used that as a secret tactic to fatten me up as a child. That's why in my adolescent and even adult years, I have a general dislike for lap cheong.

 Roast duck with yam and beans. Maybe those were just for a (lame) attempt of making this dish healthier but lets face it, skinny duck don't make for a good roast duck. The yam didn't do much nor did the beans. As for the duck itself, a bit fatty and salty but that's the best kind. Skin was crispy with the flesh being almost firm. Either order this with a full table or an infinite love for roast duck.

 Coconut jelly.
Something cooling and refreshing. Sadly, I think Coconut Grove's is better as it had better texture. This one also required a fair bit of effort to scrape the flesh off the wall.

Here's their CNY set menu. It does go all the way up to 3grand and even with sets for 4-6 pax.

Oriental Pavilion Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments