Tea & croissant: Au Pied de Cochon


  6, rue Coquillière
75001 Paris
Tel# 01 40 13 77 00
http://www.pieddecochon.com/
 It's probably an Asian thing that we love food so much that some people would operate into the dead of nights to cater to our midnight cravings. You don't see that happening in Western countries. Paris is no exception so we were surprised this place not only opens till late at night but 24hours as a matter of fact and their onion soup had good reviews.


 The street had a few other bars but this was by far the liveliest and brightest. It was also supposed to be one of the more affordable restaurants in town.

 But once we stepped inside, it's as though we were in a rather proper restaurant. Almost taken into a different era. The waiter was all smiles and patiently attended to us but I couldn't help but to feel that he was just doing his job.

 Dinner started off with some baguette and just baguette. No butter. Only the bread. Like all the other bread that we've had, it was quite hard.

 French onion soup. It had a thick layer of melted cheese that carefully sealed in the soup. After all the waiting, my opinion is that the onion soup is just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely but I don't see what the commotion is about. This is one of the better soups around so you can't say I got the bad one. Maybe I had too high expectations for it.

It's a non-creamy soup with the onion cooked until caramelized. The hard bread came in handy here, soaking in the soup and making it soft.

 Chicken liver pate. I honestly wasn't expecting a pate and wouldn't have ordered it, had I known. Thankfully, someone else never had it before so it was his virgin pate experience. Even more surprisingly, he didn't find it too bad and finished it.

 Fried pork leg with Bearnaise sauce. This took awhile to arrive and it came with the skin ultra crispy. Unlike German pork knuckle, this felt as though they took it to deep fry and serve. Not quite the French cuisine that I was hoping for.

I've heard of this sauce before (thanks, Top Chef) but had no idea what it would taste like. Somehow, my taste bud is not refined enough to enjoy the flavors. Almost like butter and some herb without much salt. It barely made it with the pork and less so with the fried skin. 

Comments