Review: Pappa Rich

If not about food, then it's about movies. Recently, it's a flood of my Paris trip. I'm running out of things to write about. Or rather, too many things to write about but not enough time to do them all.

You know what I really can't afford though? Paying more than RM3 for a glass of Milo =_= But to their credit, they do serve it in a bigger-than-usual mug.

Their iced coffee has that nice thick rich foam on top. It also does mean that you don't get as much coffee. Sneaky lil bastards.

I was at the branch in Bangsar with mj and his Korean friend who spoke a spattering of Mandarin, hence I was called to act like a translator. Yea, my Mandarin is so good enough to tell people that I can't speak it in Mandarin which I did on the phone today to some telemarketer.

Old school coffee cup and saucer but price is definitely modern day rip-off.

The proper term for this portion size in kopitiam is nga lat. Sounds like teeth falling in Cantonese. I was surprised that even the foreign workers know the term because it wasn't something familiar to myself. So the next time you want your hot drink in this size, order it with a nga lat at the end of it. For example, cham nga lat would bring you a glass of coffee and tea mix.

Of course, don't mistaken your local kopitiam as your cheaper version of Starbuck and attempt to complicate things with kosong, half sugar or the likes. This was with my parents and their friends after dinner in 1Utama. Somehow, the dinner eludes my mind now.

Pappa's iced cham is also not bad but I think they short charge their customers by giving more foam on top and ice inside. The mug itself is also quite thick so you don't get as much content.

Something non-coffee: tri layer tea. Brown sugar layered with milk then tea, some people like it. I don't really because the brown sugar flavor stays even after mixing them up together. It does look pretty though.

They also used to be generous with the butter and kaya. Now, it could barely cover the two slices.

The kids or tea time snack platter. Met up with some friends and food was used as an incentive to bait me out. I wonder if they thought it was worth it. For me, free food is good food.

Their menu has grown tremendously over the years. Their char kway teow is rather commendable and can easily beat those hawkers. Spicy without being too oily, the portion is big but that's also because they don't come cheap.

Or maybe fried loh shu fan is more of your thing. Although they don't have pork lard or lup cheong, the taste is still good.

Comments