Couscous failfail

All the years of watching cooking shows have taught me about how healthy couscous is. Anything that's not Asian and not carried by your local grocery store (Jaya Grocer don't count) is bound to be expensive. Which is why I happily snapped this up at the discount corner of Cold Storage, another grocery store that don't quite count. At less than RM 5, it was a cheap culinary adventure.

There were instructions at the back but I relied more on my cooking experience. Or to be precise, my supposed cooking skill picked up from merely watching cooking show. Can you see where this is heading?

 This is how it turned out. I could just feel the couscous dying of shame here from being cooked so wrongly. I mean, I did follow the steps but may have overcooked it by a wee bit.
Or maybe a lot because it turned out rather mushy. I was expecting something dry and with a bit of texture but I could have mistaken it for quinoa, another expensive food. 😔

Tried to salvage it by having more texture to the meal, courtesy of pan fried chopped sausages and Japanese cucumber. Yes, it became slightly palatable. Would I dare to try couscous again?

Only if it's dirt cheap. Otherwise, it'll end up being an expensive dirt-ish dish.

Comments