How To: Bake Lava Chocolate Cake

Instead of discrediting the original chef, I am not going to link the recipe here. Also because I don't know which recipe I followed for this particular dish. 
Since it's been a while since my last cooking post, let me just revisit the days when calorie counting is totally unheard of. In my life, at least.

Have you tried molten chocolate cake or lava cake for short? When made right, you get a nice cake with a liquid chocolate inside. One of the best I've had was in a restaurant which has since closed down. Fresh out of the oven, it was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The contrast of hot and cold is like a firework in my mouth. Almost as orgasmic as the lamb kabsa from Saba.

The ingredients are fairly simple and straightforward: chocolate powder, chocolate chunks, butter, egg and sugar.


Melt the butter and chocolate together in a bain-marie. It is just a very fancy term for double cooking. Instead of placing the pot directly over the heat and risking burning them due to low boiling point, you place it over another pot of water and boil that instead. Indirect heating which gives you time to stir them and let it melt naturally.

Liquid gold. I suppose you could just drink this all up if you super duper love chocolate but the butter taste is just a little too much for me at this point. Coupled with the sweet sweet chocolate, I wasn't even tempted to lick the spoon. 

 Beat the egg up until frothy. Obviously, if you have a good mixer, this will be done easily in a jiffy. Unfortunately, my arms were just not strong enough and nobody has offered me a mixer to date. 

It is funny how people say that single guys have stronger right arm (or left if they are left handed). Both my arms are relatively the same in terms of strength though lately, my right arm does seem to be lifting heavier. Maybe this dry spell has certainly taken a toll on me.

 Autobots, assemble. 
Once the chocolate butter mixture has cooled down to room temperature, it's time to add the beaten egg.

 It becomes less watery but I think it's the chocolate which didn't have a great taste to it, turning this into a very sweet batter.
Very, very sweet.

 Dust the ramekins with chocolate powder and put a piece of paper so that the cake will slide out easier later. I don't know the science behind this. So maybe you can skip this.

 When they first came out, it looked quite watery still so I popped them in for a little longer.
A big mistake because it ended up being too cooked =_=

 Flipped it over and it looked rather sad.

Thus, it became a chocolate cake because no lava in the middle.
Maybe I should just stick to calorie counting and give up on baking/cooking altogether.

Comments