Review: Pasta Zanmai, Tropicana City Mall


Lot G-40, Ground Floor,
Tropicana City Mall,
No.3, Jalan SS20/27,
47400 Petaling Jaya.
Tel# 03 - 7727 1020 

My cousin came down with her family including her mother who was my baby sitter during my formative years in Ipoh. We remain (somewhat) close even now. At times, she does feel more of a family than my parents are. Initial plan was to use the voucher for Three Little Pigs but an error on my end resulted in pasta. This is why I suck at making personal plans/arrangements while at work. The voucher was only valid from the following week onward -_-""

Anyway, Pasta Zanmai is a good choice for Japanese food without breaking the bank. Steamed edamame for starters as it's my niece's favorite. How do you eat them? I usually pop the whole thing into my mouth then slowly push the nuts into my mouth using my teeth while pulling the skin out. The touch of salt on the outside makes it more yummy.


Potato salad. Leave it to the Japanese to come up with food that is healthy and delicious though I wouldn't call this exactly healthy since it has quite a lot of mayo into it for a creamy texture.

Deep fried chicken. In the realm of fried chicken cuisine, the Japanese certainly nailed it in making the end product less oily. If anything, it's as though it's been deep fried in air because it wasn't oily at all. Making them into bite size, they go hand in hand with the side serving of rich mayo.

The best thing here is probably their set. You get two different dishes that's bound to fill you up nicely. If you are a small eater, best to share it. This is their Chicken Onsen Tamago Rice. Although the chicken are not as thick as your chicken rice, the sweet Teriyaki sauce was complimentary and the egg was superbly done.

Asari Wafu Soup Pasta. There is the unmistakable umami flavor from the mushroom radiating in the soup. A Japanese-Western fusion that worked out wonderfully, the broth is delicious and who knew that Western pasta would blend well with Asian flavors?

Garlic fried rice with deep fried chicken. The same chicken as before with rice that has been cooked with enough garlic that vampires would steer clear of you. Still, it is quite delicious. My only complaint was it was a little dry.

Seafood Tomato Pasta. Unassuming pasta dish with a fair bit of spinach to lend it an Asian touch, we liked the simplicity and flavors that are on the right notes. Unlike Western pasta, the sauce is more subdued, the tomato sauce is not sour at all. 

Comments