til death do us part

For someone who's barely making ends meet, weddings appear to be something frivolous. A friend got married with a simple registration. No wedding dinner to speak of.

Either that or I just wasn't invited. 

Chinese weddings can run up to 10grand (at least) but if you are smart, you can actually earn a profit out of it by inviting the right people. A cousin invited the who's and who's that they ended up gaining 10k clean profit after settling the dinner bill. I find that slightly unscrupulous but each to its own.

If, if.... IF ever someone asked me to his better half and sign on the dotted line, I'd do away with the grand wedding dinner. Maybe a nice simple wedding dinner with (close) family members at a nice restaurant. Or if we are really broke, we'd just invite people out to mamak and call it our wedding dinner. Free flow of teh o ice limau  the entire night. In this day when divorce is as commonplace as getting a new car, does it make economical sense to splurge on one day of your life? Of course, nobody enters into a marriage with divorce in mind but be rational. Be logical. Why spend the money that you don't have for people that you don't see or care about?

Anyway, maybe this is what living just above poverty line does to you.
Hence, looking through this made my heart weep.

Not because there isn't anyone to sweep me off my feet.
Not because I don't have anyone to marry.
Not because I can't afford that sort of wedding. Or even half, quarter, one eighth of its scale.
Not because of jealousy.

Actually, all the above quite true la... But the main reason is all that extravagance could be put to better use.

But then again, when your better half is the owner of one of the most successful restaurant chain in Malaysia, what's air flown tuna, freaking carousel, (reportedly) RM 20k wedding cake? Excuse me while I whimper on my peasant bed of straws.

Comments