Review: Sri Grand City Restaurant, PJ Section 11


51, 11/4, Jln Dato Mahmud
PJ Section 11
Tel#012-2333451
http://www.srigrandcitycaterers.com/

The first time I heard about this place is during The Star's poll for the best banana leaf curry rice. Last weekend was a good idea to finally drop by and try it out myself since I was in the vicinity. To my surprise, it was actually located at the same row as Sri Paandi, another famous banana leaf restaurant. Many years ago, Sri Paandi had bad blood with its neighbor (not Sri Grand City) about stealing its customers with a misleading name which was too close for comfort to its own. If you don't know what I am talking about, you either don't like banana leaf or are just too young. Regardless of which, you ain't got a way into my heart.

The place was fully air-conditioned and business was brisk for a hot Saturday afternoon. It took awhile before one of the Singh waiter came over to take my order. All the while, he looked more suspicious than friendly, never smiling. It is as though he was doubting my presence there for Indian rice and was hoping to lash out at me for ordering char kway teow or the likes. That aside, he was quite attentive and gave me my food, even asking if there was anything else I wanted.

Learning from my past mistake, I didn't request for a mountain of rice but did cause of flood curry =D Opting for a chicken curry and dhal combo, it was hearty and wasn't (that) spicy. Coming from someone who grew up eating Indian cuisine, you should take that with a pinch of salt.

But the fried dried chilli just looked too spicy so I gave that a miss.
Not sure what the other bottom two sauces are but both are more sweet than spicy. Slightly sour too.

On the bottom is rasam which had a good spice flavor.
On the top right is a sweet dessert of coconut slices, coconut milk (me thinks) and sago, not sure what's the proper name of it. Slightly thick and sweet.

Chicken varuval. This and their mutton varuval are famous. As much as I adore mutton, I ordered the poultry version because (me thinks) it is cheaper. The portion is rather sizable or maybe it's because I was eating alone. The chicken was definitely a notch up in the spicy heat scale and tread easily or have a glass of iced water on standby. They do provide you with a glass of water with your banana leaf meal btw.  I love it that this came hot, adding to the spiciness.

After my helpful but suspicious waiter brought me everything, it was time to dig in. People are always surprised to know that banana leaf rice tops my favorite food. Even more surprising that I could eat with my fingers. Not just picking the rice and meat but really finishing the meal. But don't ask me why I don't particularly fancy Indian guys. I don't want my fingers to smell of curry perpetually.

Overall, it was an enjoyable meal. The vegetables were cooked until almost a mush. The curry was a perfect companion. Chicken was spicy to the core in a good way. My Indian friends also commented that this is one of the few that serve good banana leaf meal. The meal came up to RM 14.50 in total. Not exactly cheap but it was quite good.

Comments