Oriental Pavilion, Jaya 33

 Since it was my father's early birthday celebration with the rest of the clan, my sister picked this joint as we bananas are not very familiar with decent Chinese restaurants. If you have any suggestions, please drop them in the comments and save my dad from eating at the same places and you from having to read about the same restaurant.

Oriental do offer set menus to take away the legwork of ordering which again works out great for us. This is the appetizer trio. From left to right:

  • Deep fried soft shell - very different from the Japanese version in terms of the batter used. Not oily but I prefer the Japanese version
  • Prawn in sauce - Fine, I admit I don't know what sauce it is. The point is the fresh prawn 🦐
  • Pan grilled bacon wrapped scallop - That meaty flavor coupled with that fresh seafood is certainly a good start for any meal. But I did find that the sauce may have been too much for that morsel of food.   

 Deep fried pumpkin and meaty balls.
The pork balls were sweet and spicy from the sauce. This dish just feels a little disconnected in that both are great on its own, just not on the same plate.
Probably like my exes and me.

 Tofu pork stew.
A homely dish which come to think of it, I never had it at home before 😅 This does serve to cleanse the palette a little after the earlier extravagance.

 Spinach soup with surprise fish ball. You know the kind that squirts? Not fishy at all, springy texture, just beware when you bite into it. The soup was flavorful from the mini anchovies and veggies are not too soggy.

 Longevity noodle because no Chinese birthday do for old people is complete without it. They cooked this with more meat and bean sprouts. If you had this before, you'd understand if I were to say that there's nothing special about these noodles except for the memories it may invoke.

 Deep fried pork with garlic. Vampires will avoid you, your date may not be impressed unless they enjoy good food as this one The pork was crunchy and very garlicky. Having said that though, it was difficult to have too much of this. For me at least who enjoys garlic, up to a certain degree only.

Comments