Ben's Independer Grocer, IPC


In terms of grocery shopping, Ben's feel like the most atas of them all, now that Cold Storage is slowly exiting the Malaysian market. They do stock up on quite a lot of import goods, most of which I've only ever heard of before on telly, even that also quite rarely since I don't have access to cable TV anymore in the last decade. The one thing that I could afford and pay for happily there would be their weekday dinner promo. 

For 2 soups and 2 mains, you pay about RM 37 after taxes. How's that for bang for  your bucks? Sadly, I think the promo is ending/ended. Such a waste as the portion isn't that small either. 

 Onion soup with a slice of toast topped with melted cheese. Don't expect it to be your usual standard French onion soup, complete with melted cheese and made with caramelized onion. But still, I found this good enough with the freshly made toast. It does taste of proper onion soup and isn't that what really matters?

 Mushroom soup. A notch better than your Campbell can, it did come with chopped mushroom though I would have preferred it to be slightly thicker. Again, the same toast sans cheese. Still great.

 Shepherd's pie.
I was a tad bit disappointed as the top cheese layer didn't cover the entire surface. However, after a spoon of the cheese, mashed potato, minced beef and some peas, I forgive them, just a wee bit. The meat was hot since it came fresh out the oven. My main beef with this dish is the potato was somewhat bland on its own. Maybe some butter would have been good. Oh yea and more cheese please.

Spaghetti vongole.
This was spicy with quite a bit of clam and some chopped cherry tomatoes. The portion was surprisingly not small even if the clams are on the small side. Fresh clams, al dente spaghetti, right amount of chili and salt. Like what else could you ask for?

 Pepperoni tomato spaghetti.
Also a bit spicy but not as spicy as the vongole. Instead, you taste more of the cheese with only a hint of chili from the pepperoni slices.

 Roast chicken.
I think this would be one of their weaker main dish (in this promo). The chicken was on the dry side but I guess that's what the sauce is for. Chips are great, if you don't like crunchy stuff of which I'm a big fan of.

Comments