Review: Win Huo, Aman Suria


25-1, Jalan PJU 1/3D,
Sunway Mas Commercial Centre,
Aman Suria,
47301 Petaling Jaya
Tel# 03-7887 9029
A relatively new restaurant in this hood, it took the smart route of offering dim sum as there wasn't any other around. Not a full fledged one, at least.The place is almost always packed in the morning that I decided to check it out myself.

You know it's your mom and pop dim sum shop when they have this chili sauce. Turns out that apart from dim sum, they sell noodles as well. Of note would be the red wine noodle. Quite a few tables ordered it but I was there solely for the dim sum. 

Most of my dim sum experience are of those in proper restaurants with air conditioner (think Oriental Banquet, Jaya Palace). So these kind of open air, fan-only fare is slightly foreign to me. But, I have to admit it has its charms. For starters, they are way cheaper. Then, their selection tends to be a bit less mainstream.

On the top left is steamed pork paste with century egg. I like century egg but this one tasted like it's been steamed to death, like my skin after one hour of swimming followed by sauna. The pork/mushroom balls on the middle right is not bad, perfect with the chili sauce. That flowery looking thing at the bottom is actually pork dumpling with spam. Very creative but I prefer my spam fried, thank you. Last but not least is the seafood tofu, kinda like my favorite. Fried or steam.

Seaweed wrap crab and pork on the top is not bad. I like how you get that earthy flavor on the outside to balance out the savory meat. Steam bacon is just weird. It elevates the guilt factor up a notch. At least when it's fried, its deliciousness makes me forget about all the fat. Can't recall what the last one is.

As you may observe, they have rather unique combinations. Some don't work perfectly but brownie points for trying. Actually, it's not like they tasted that bad either. 

Of course, they do have the regular offerings. Siew mai wasn't very porky tasting which is good. Beancurd with pork filling also not bad.

Chee cheong fun was ok. Not the thinnest or smoothest but can eat.

Their char siew pao was comparable to my index finger. And my finger isn't that thin so if you have a big mouth, this is probably just a one bite thing.

Comments