goodbye 2016, hello 2017

So, this is like overdue. Way overdue. But, if you think about how some of my food post are well beyond 6months old, 2months really isn't that long ago.

To recap, I don't think I did that bad with 2016:
  • Be happy, be content. Be less critical of self - I am still highly critical of myself. Still full of doubt, fear and paranoia. Half (or maybe most) of the time, they do turn out to be legit feelings. In a way, it keeps me safe. But, I have to admit that it over consumes, overwhelms that I crouch into a corner, afraid of the consequences. Like Adele, I am sorry that I was wrong. And I want to make up for it. To be better. 
  • Pick the right battles. Compromise on what is worthy losing for - On the work front, things got very challenging. For a job that started out fairly easy enough, it nearly robbed my sanity. Now, I am reaping what I sowed. Not a great harvest but hopefully it'll get better this year. 
  • Six pack FTW Smaller tummy - kinda total fail. Back then, I used to weigh around 50kg. Now, it's gotten to a point that I am afraid of stepping onto the scale. But I console myself with the fact that it's muscle weight and not fat. Despite those gym body composition machines telling me that I'm around 28 to 30% body fat. I don't believe you! Lies! Goddamn rigged tools! As you can tell, point#1 is in session.
 Some people think that resolutions are a waste of time, a farce that society has conjured up to improve their lives (in their imagination). How many of you have setup to go to the gym but barely stepped into it once a month? Or that you want get richer yet spends the money that you don't have like water? If there's something that you want to improve or work towards, why must it be part of a new year's resolution?

To a certain degree, I agree with that notion. However, if you are starting from scratch up, a new year's resolution is a good starting point. We all need to pick up where we fallen. For me, the things that I've set out for in the recent years have now become of second nature to me.
  • Exercise: doing it daily. 
  • Learn German: also doing it daily. Heck, I upped the ante and installed Memrise
  • Improve myself: apart from German, I'm also onto Chinese which (un)surprisingly is harder to pick up. Lumosity is another to train the brain.
The one thing that I am finding it difficult is to blog daily. It is difficult having to balance the social life with some quality me time. Yes, I do notice that most of my posts of late are about food and only food. Sometimes, the ideas for a good post do hit me. There are even few series in my head but that's where they still are. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I materialize them.

Anyway, after all that digression, it's times to come back to this year's resolution:
  • handle work stress better. Don't let it turn into personal stress. It is not worth it. 
  • Be more communicative. 
  • Don't give up on something so easily. Here's looking at you, faux calligraphy. 
To be honest, everyone's been saying 2016 has been a crappy year with celebrities dying.
Everybody dies everyday. Were you expecting them to live forever?

My 2016 had not been the perfect year. Got back stabbed. Pushed to the brink. But I also learned to deal with those. Got better. Or maybe the last of my f just went out the window. There are more things going on for me now. So much so that I think I will miss them if I die now.

Comments